This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RW chapter.

If you are anything like me, you know it is a struggle to get out of bed and up for the day without turning over and snoozing your alarm. Between balancing homework, exercise, friends, and self care, there are many obstacles that keep you from getting the sleep your body needs! As a college student, chances are you aren’t getting enough sleep and need to consider your sleep schedule and sleeping habits. 

1. Get 7-8 Hours of Sleep.

I know this may sound obvious, but getting a full 7-8 hours of sleep is crucial to waking up early without that groggy early morning feeling. Getting to bed a little earlier than usual can make all the difference in how productive you are in the morning.

2. Drink a full glass of water before going to bed.

Drinking water before falling asleep will keep you from waking up in the middle of the night dehydrated and looking for a water bottle to chug. This will also force you out of bed in the morning to use the bathroom.

3. Simplify your Morning Routine.

Simplify your morning routine by picking out your outfit and planning out your breakfast before you go to bed. This saves so much time in the morning, you may be able to catch a few more z’s.

4. Make a “To-Do List” for the Morning.

Making a “to-do list” will help keep you on track and ready to take on the day. This will also help manage how much time you may need to get ready and out the door in the morning!

5. Put your phone away!

Try to put your phone away at least 20-30 minutes before you are ready to fall asleep. Bright phone screens and blue light can keep you from drifting into sleep more easily. To make this easier and to help you get out of bed in the morning, leave your phone and alarm across the room so you will have to get out of bed to get it when you wake up!

Hi my name is Rachel! I am a sophomore architecture major at RW. I love cooking and hanging out with friends!
Hi, I'm Jessie, the Campus Coordinator and Founder of Her Campus at Roger Williams University! I am a senior majoring in Communication and Media Studies and minoring in Marketing and Graphic Design. When not in school, I love to work out, shop, listen to music and spend time with my friends!