Women in the Workplace: Girl Boss Social Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past Thursday Her Campus Rutgers hosted a Women in the Workplace: Girl Boss Social.

This event marked the first in our series, “Women in the Workplace”. The event was created to provide girl bosses on campus the tools and resources to be successful in the workplace. Each attendee was able to engage in brief activities created by our co-sponsors for a chance to win our grand prize- the ultimate workplace giftset! It was a fun evening of food, giveaways, making new friends, and of course networking!

Without further adieu, let’s quickly recap our event, co-sponsors, and giveaway prizes!

Co-sponsors:

Our first sponsor was Fashion Organization of Retail & Marketing, otherwise known as FORM. FORM “strives to unite Rutgers students with a passion for fashion, encourage interest, provide learning and networking opportunities, and enable students to explore prospective careers in the business of fashion”. At our event, FORM informed attendees of their upcoming opportunities to network and learn more about the Retail and Marketing world. They also handed out some cool fun prizes!

Our next sponsor was Rutgers Salsa Club. Rutgers Salsa Club holds weekly salsa lessons ranging from beginner, intermediate and advanced. Salsa club gave attendees information about their club and attendees write a letter to themselves about why they consider themselves “empowering”. At the end of the event, the notes were returned to everyone so they could read what they wrote.

We also had our very own campus correspondent Alexis Martin representing her blog AlexisHoots. Alexis gave attendees insight on tips and tricks to covering your passions into side hustles as she did with her blog. You can check her out at her blog and on YouTube.

Rutgers Spanish Club is up next! Rutgers Spanish club “aims to engage students through a variety of cultural and service-based events” and “is open to students of various backgrounds interested in learning Spanish”. At our event, Spanish club was able to teach attendees a few key Spanish words they could use in the workplace.

Also in attendance was Rutgers Undergraduate Women in Business, aka RUWIB. “The purpose of the RUWIB is to empower future women leaders by building a network and community that develops professional skills, promotes education, and fosters personal growth.” At our event, the organization had two activities for attendees to participate in. For the first one, attendees wrote reasons why they saw themselves as ‘“girl bosses”. In the second one, attendees wrote on a posterboard what they wanted to see in the future for women in business.

Last but not least was our very own Rutgers Her Campus booth. At the Her Campus booth, attendees were given the chance to spin to win one of our many prizes and answer questions to learn about women in the workplace. We also set up a vision board station for attendees to use their creative skills to outline dreams and goals for the coming year.

Giveaway Prizes:

1: Our first giveaway was a black Her Campus GIRL PWR cap, a red Her Campus Pennant, a Her Campus Rutgers sticker, pink Her Campus pen, and a Her Campus GIRL PWR sticker.

2: Our second giveaway was a black Her Campus GIRL PWR cap, a blue Her Campus GIRL PWR pennant, a Her Campus Rutgers sticker, pink Her Campus pen, and a Her Campus GIRL PWR sticker.

3: Our third giveaway was a $60 Hello Fresh gift card, a red Her Campus Pennant, a Her Campus Rutgers sticker, pink Her Campus pen, and a Her Campus GIRL PWR sticker.

Finally, our grand prize included a $50 Hello Fresh gift card, a ceramic cup, a ceramic table organizer, a floral container, an Her Campus pen, a floral box, an innisfree welcome sample kit, an innisfree 10% off coupon, and a ban.do notebook.

Thank you to all the boss babes who came out to the event. We hope you learned something and had fun! Now go conquer the workplace babes!!

Aarushi is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Business Analytics and minoring in Spanish. If she's not studying (or writing for HerCampus!) she's probably sleeping or watching Netflix! 
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).