This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Romance has always involved a deep sense of imagination. Given the intense emotions and drama associated with love, artists have often portrayed this subject in their works for millenniums. I enjoy romance through the entertainment of my reading and movie hobbies…until Valentine’s Day comes around and I am suddenly saddled with the reality of my lack of actual love life. Every year on February 14th, I seem to feel that I am left out of something since Valentine’s Day is seen as an event for couples. As a single person throughout my entire life, I believe this day can involve participation from people who are without partners. Here are some different activities you can engage in to feel the romantic atmosphere of this holiday.

Experience romance through fiction

Even if your love life isn’t eventful, you can fill your lonely evenings with the love lives of other (fictional) people. First, it’s important to recognize that the fantasies from fiction seldom correlate to reality. Romance stories are certainly not the best representation of real-life relationships, but their engaging characters and plot lines make a relaxing form of entertainment. Many classic romance books are adapted to the screen because of their swoon-worthy appeal, the more famous examples being Pride and Prejudice or The Notebook. Love is a very common theme in stories. There is an endless variety of character archetypes and plotlines in this genre, fulfilling every person’s preference. Depending on your mood on Valentine’s Day, you will be able to fill your emotional needs with either a heart-wrenching tragedy or a light-hearted romantic comedy.

Write your own love story or poem

Even though there is a huge selection of literature works containing the theme of love, you may not necessarily relate to any of them. Or, you might just have the feeling of wanting to put your own perspective on romance out there. Writing is a great creative activity that brings out your individuality and allows you to reflect deeper into your opinions and experiences. It may seem like you need romantic experiences to write about love, but writing is more about the perspective than anything else. If this is your first time writing a story or a poem, try to find inspiration from another author’s work. I would recommend going on the Poetry Foundation website to see how other writers use language. To get into the mood of your writing session, a bonus creative activity could be to find a themed playlist and listen to music containing romantic lyrics.

Make a Valentine’s Day-themed craft

If you’re not very interested in writing, perhaps making an artsy craft will be more of your interest!  Show off your artistic side by creating an art project related to Valentine’s Day. I suggest going on a website like Pinterest to get inspiration. Even with limited supplies, you could use the colors typically found in Valentine’s Day decorations (i.e. red, pink, white) to emphasize the holiday theme in your work. Another crafty activity is to bake something sweet and tasty to satisfy your tastebuds, or you can share it with the people you care about. If you want to be extra artsy with your food, try baking a batch of cupcakes or cookies and then decorate them with various colorful edibles.

Treat yourself

Another way to interpret Valentine’s Day is to see it as an opportunity to spend time caring for yourself, rather than a significant other. Despite the emphasis on romantic relationships and gift-giving on Valentine’s Day, it’s even more important to address self-care at any time of the year. The money that would have been spent on an expensive Valentine’s dinner or a present can also be used for your own happiness. Don’t have any ideas on how to treat yourself? Think about an activity that makes you feel relaxed. For example, you could buy your favorite-scented face mask or apply another refreshing beauty product. Pair this treatment with a special dessert bought just for your tastes. There are plenty of chocolates around this time of the year, so take advantage of the variety offered to you!

This holiday might make some people feel lonelier. Even though Valentine’s Day is a day meant for love and romance, you can also spend the day working on your own self-care. There’s nothing wrong with indulging a little for your own sake because ultimately it’s your well-being that matters to you the most.

Miriam Kim

Rutgers '23

Miriam is a student at Rutgers University working towards English/Information Technology and Informatics majors. Her top interests are creative writing, traveling, and literature.