Tips to Stay Busy on Campus at Rutgers During the Cold Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Finding things to do on campus when it is cold outside can be a challenge, so here are some ideas to help you stay busy while living on campus during the winter months! Fortunately, Rutgers University has a lot to offer on campus to help you stay busy and warm! 

Attend a fitness class: Rutgers has many different fitness/wellness classes to offer at the recreation centers on every campus. The recreation centers offer yoga, pilates, Zumba, spinning, and many more every day. Fitness/wellness classes are super fun and a great way to stay active and meet new people! The fitness classes are all indoors, which is ideal during the winter and is a great way for students to keep their minds and bodies healthy! Download the RURec2Go app to find a workout class that works for your schedule! 

Join a club: There are hundreds of clubs at Rutgers; clubs are a great way to get out and meet new people and stay busy on campus! Some clubs meet virtually, while others meet in person. Check out the Rutgers Student Activities website to find a club that interests you, or go out of your comfort zone and try something completely new– you may be surprised to find out some of your interests!

Rutgers Zone: The Rutgers Zone is a fun little arcade located in the Livingston Student Center on Livingston Campus! Since the colder months make outdoor activities seem very unappealing, the Rutgers Zone is a great indoor option for you to have some fun! Some of the games at the Rutgers Zone are pool, skeeball, basketball, and more! Bring some friends or your significant other for a fun (and free) game night! The Rutgers Zone is open Monday-Saturday from 12 pm-10 pm and closed Sunday.

Try out a different dining hall: Rutgers has four different dining halls, one on each campus. It could be fun to take a quick bus ride to another campus to give their dining hall a try if you’re bored of the food from the one on your campus! If you’re feeling stuck in your room, take a trip to another campus and do some homework, read a book, or grab a cup of coffee. Then, you can grab a bite to eat at the dining hall. If you’re not on a meal plan, all of the Student Centers at Rutgers have restaurants and take-out options such as Panera, Moes, and Sbarro. These could be a great option if you’re exploring the other campuses!

Get an on-campus job: As college students, we could always use a little extra money! Rutgers has many different on-campus jobs to offer. If you are looking to make some extra cash and have some extra free time you’d like to fill, an on-campus job could be a perfect way to keep you busy while earning some extra money. Working more hours during the winter could always be a great way to save up and potentially work fewer hours over the summer! Go to the Rutgers Student Employment website to see some of the available on-campus jobs that may seem like a great fit for you! 

Rutgers Cinema: The Rutgers Cinema is a great date night idea or perfect for a night out with your friends. What’s better during these cold days than grabbing a snack and watching a movie? The Rutgers Cinema offers different films, and student tickets are only $8! You can book tickets ahead of time online on the Rutgers Cinema website, or purchase tickets in person at the theater, located on Livingston Campus.

Shelby is a current junior at Rutgers University-New Brunswick Majoring in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in Gender and Media & Sociology. Shelby enjoys reading and writing and all things wellness and beauty!