This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

On August 28, 2022, while accepting the VMA for Video of the Year, Taylor Swift announced her tenth studio album Midnights. It is set to be released on October 21, 2022, and is said to be a representation of “stories of 13 sleepless nights scattered throughout my life” (@taylorswift on Instagram). We could sit and speculate the genre and theme of this upcoming album, but there is a clear message that it is going to be personal to Taylor. So while we treacherously wait for Midnights to arrive, here are thirteen of my favorite songs that have helped comfort me through sleepless nights. 

“3AM” – HAIM

3AM is a song about a booty call in the early hours of the morning, or rather the latest hours of the night. But not only is the innuendo of the song a quintessential message of missing someone, there is this hint of regret and doubt and confusion that makes the song eerie to me. Between this push and pull of a relationship is somewhere everyone has been a part of—whether that be a sexual relationship or not. 

“Chasing Cars” – Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol’s number one hit has made its way into my list as well. Gary Lightbody has such an enchanting voice that could soothe any heartbreak. Lightbody actually collabed with Swift on a song for her album Red (2012) and re-recorded it almost ten years later for Red (Taylor’s Version) (2021) in the song “The Last Time.”

“Remember When” – Wallows

I have been a Wallows fan for a while, and this song has always stuck with me. I love the idea of remembering and reminiscing on something from the past. However, it is a much sadder song than that because it reflects on growing up and growing far apart from something (or someone). 

“forever&more” – ROLE MODEL

The beat, the words, and Tucker Pullsbury’s voice are all so sweet. There is simply nothing better than hearing someone say everything that they love about you. The line, “she don’t pay rent, but she stay in my mind,” repeats itself in my mind over and over again. 

“Best to You” – Blood Orange

This song is about a one-sided relationship. Not only are the instrumentals in this song haunting, but the words find a way to embody every bit of loneliness and regret of a relationship. 

“There’s Still a Light in the House” – Valley

The metaphor between “a light in the house” and being a person in a relationship nearly warms every part of me each time this song plays. Referring to someone as “home” has always been a special phrase to me and this song embodies every good part about loving someone and needing them to survive. 

“Satellite” – Harry Styles

To me, this is the second saddest song on Harry Styles’ third studio album Harry’s House—only second to “Matilda,” of course. A satellite is obviously used to communicate between Earth and space. Styles’ beautifully crafted lyrics refer to regretting distance and longing for something more. The percussion perfectly fills the silence within the melody.  

“Golden Hour” – Kacey Musgraves

This song breaks my heart after knowing what happened between Kacey Musgraves and her now ex-husband Ruston Kelly. The whole album itself revolves around their romance and love for each other; the album that follows revolves around their breakup. However, “Golden Hour” perfectly puts into song and perspective what falling in love feels like. 

“Starting Over” – Chris Stapleton

The first time I heard this song, it was the night of a close friend’s high school graduation. She was getting ready to move across the country for college and leave the place she had called home, a place we shared. As I listened to the lyrics, I hoped for a perfect new start. 

“Scott Street” – Phoebe Bridgers

All of Phoebe Bridgers’ lyrics are evocative and the ones in “Scott Street” do not fall short. About a failed relationship, it parallels itself to “Cornelia Street” by Taylor Swift in every antithesis possible. In “Cornelia Street,” Swift sings about how if she breaks up with her lover, she could never walk Cornelia Street again as there are too many memories. In “Scott Street,” Bridgers sings about having to do just that. Imagine the place you spent lots of time with a person—we all have that place. Then, you never see that person again. Once you find your own version of Scott Street, listening to the song becomes powerfully nostalgic. 

“Yesterday” – The Beatles

This song is by far my favorite song about a breakup. It is soft, sad, and simple. If someone wrote this song about me, I would not be able to fall asleep at night. 

“Rollercoaster” – Bleachers

As a song about a crush, it cannot get any more real than “Rollercoaster.” Jack Antonoff is a production genius, and this song perfectly encompasses nostalgia and summer bliss into a very fun song. 

“Clean” – Taylor Swift

I could not not include a Taylor Swift song in this list. The obvious choice would be to include something from Folklore or Evermore, the two more mysterious and forlorn albums about fictional characters and worlds. But “Clean” felt personal and more cogent. While it is about finally getting over someone, I find the analogy between a lover being a drug super telling. The line, “the rain came pouring down, When I was drowning, that’s when I could finally breathe,” is so true to every song Taylor has ever written (the motif of rain). It is a beautiful song about starting over and finding yourself after losing someone who thought was a part of you.

Annabel Park

Rutgers '25

Annabel is a sophomore at Rutgers University majoring in Marketing and minoring in Health Administration. Besides writing, she enjoys baking, going to the gym, Harry Styles, and walking around NYC hoping to run into celebrities! IG: @annabelpark3