This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

When I think of a girl boss, I think of someone who is cool, confident, and an all-around baddie. Someone who fits into all of these rules is Lindsey Jordan, also known as Snail Mail. She released her first self-made EP, Habit, in 2015. In 2017, Snail Mail then expanded to include a bassist and drummer, and they released their first album, Lush, in 2018.

I personally had not heard of Snail Mail until I went to the free concert hosted by the Rutgers University Programming Association (RUPA). The concert was held earlier this month on February 1st. Fortunately, I was able to stand in the front row, directly in front of the teenage singer. I was mesmerized. With the help of her band, she was able to deliver an amazing show. Her voice crooned when the songs became emotional, and she yelled when the songs became angry. The emotional landscapes in her songs are truly remarkable. As someone who had not listened to many of her songs before, I could only listen in awe as she belted and strummed her electric guitar.

What impresses me the most is how she was only 15 when she started her career. Entirely self-made, Snail Mail encompasses Lindsey’s relatable feelings to an audience as diverse as the lyrics she writes. People of any age can dance along to her songs, and feel what she is feeling. I hope that Snail Mail continues to further its legacy. After all, who knew a band that started as “just for fun” in high school would turn into an American sensation?

You can check out Snail Mail’s recent live performance of the song “Speaking Terms” on Last Call with Carson Daily below and stream all of their music on Spotify!

Barakah Iqbal

Rutgers '20

Hey! I'm Barakah! I go to Rutgers as an Art major! I like watching tv, reading books, and drawing!