This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

It’s no secret that quarantine has been taking a toll on all of us. We are a very social generation, and we thrive through social interaction. Not to mention that the transition from seeing our friends every day to quarantine was immediate. Now more than ever, it is crucial to focus on yourself. It is important to acknowledge how you’re feeling emotionally, mentally and physically. Even if these feelings are negative, that’s ok! These emotions are valid given the current circumstances. In order to remain optimistic, it is important to practice self-care during this time. There’s a plethora of things you can do to maintain this practice!  Below are suggestions of different ways you can practice self-care during quarantine.

Journal

Journaling is a therapeutic way to practice self-care. Journaling provides you with an outlet to express yourself. Not only is journaling a fantastic way to release your emotions and document your life, but it will be fascinating to reflect back on in the future to see what you did during an international pandemic. It will be a great way for you to look back and see how you coped with the situation and any other struggles in your life right now.

Exercise

Exercising is a great way to practice self-care! Exercising releases endorphins and feel good hormones. It is always a fantastic way to remain healthy. Despite being in quarantine, there are still plenty of ways in which you can exercise. I’ve really enjoyed going on walks and runs around my neighborhood during this period. Getting fresh air is important after having been stuck inside all day. Just remember to social distance!

If running and walking aren’t really your thing, there are plenty of online workout videos as well! There are yoga, dance, core workouts, and many other types of workouts accessible. The Rutgers Recreation Department has been live-streaming workout videos on their social media platforms daily as well.

Read

Engrossing yourself into a good book is a fantastic way to get away. Getting lost in your reading will provide you with a great escape from the world. It will free your imagination to run wild for a while. It also calms the mind, which is something that we all need right now.

Give Yourself a Spa Day

There’s no shame in treating yourself during this time! Sometimes a spa day/evening/moment is all we need. Take advantage of this extra time you now have and give yourself a pampered moment. Take this time to paint your nails, exfoliate, use that face mask that’s been laying around, or anything you have and haven’t had time to do! Taking a moment to prioritize yourself and your physical wellbeing is critical. You will feel refreshed and relaxed.

Pursue New Interests

There’s no time like the present to pursue an interest you’ve never had the time for. There are plenty of websites and Youtube videos that you can watch to master your new hobby! I know that I have taken this time to paint and try to learn American Sign Language. You can work on an art project, collage, knitting, baking, cooking, writing, gardening, and so much more! Don’t feel like Netflix is your only option.

Meditate

To be entirely honest, I was skeptical about meditating at first. I couldn’t imagine that it could truly have any impact on my life. However, I was proven very wrong. Meditating is a great way to ease the mind and provide yourself with a moment of inner peace. Taking a moment for yourself to sit back and clear your mind is beyond refreshing. Meditating is a great way to improve your mental health as well. There are guided meditation videos ranging from 3 minutes to an hour long, to help you learn the practice online!

Video Chat With Friends

Given the endless video chatting platforms, it remains possible to still hang out with friends, virtually that is! Schedule a time to have a wine night (if you are over 21), a painting party, or just a hang out with your friends. It is important to not isolate yourself during this time. It may seem like a daunting task, but trust me, everyone has time for a quick phone call to debrief. Spending time with friends is sure to make you feel great!

All of these self-care ideas are easily accessible to anyone with internet access! Quarantine does not need to be a time of fear and anxiety. Take this time to prioritize yourself. You matter. We will get through this together.

Kate Dobbs

Rutgers '21

Kate Dobbs is currently a sophomore attending Rutgers University New Brunswick. She is currently majoring in History on a secondary education track with a specialization in Special Education and Public History. Additionally she is a spinning instructor at Rutgers University. She aspires to help her future students succeed and be set on a path of success. Instagram: katedobbs
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.