BRIDGERTON 208 Unit 00377R?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
BRIDGERTON 208 Unit 00377R?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
LIAM DANIEL/NETFLIX

My Favorite Couples in Media!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Happy Valentine’s Day! Valentine’s Day is a holiday that consists of some of my favorite things: the color pink, candy, teddy bears, more pink, and hopeless romance, of course. And, as I do with everything, I am using February 14th as an excuse to write about something related to film, tv, or just media in general. I’ve decided to share my unsolicited opinions about these fictional couples as soon as I can. So, if you’re down, come join me and gush over cute things that may or may not ever happen in real life, fictional men, and the amazingness of these couples.

Kate and Anthony (From “Bridgerton” Season 2)

“Bridgerton” season 2 turned me from a more casual fan into a “when is season 3 coming out?” kinda gal. And it’s all because of these two, Kate and Anthony, often referred to as “Kanthony.” Usually, I’m iffy on the “enemies to lovers” trope, but something in the universe truly shifted with their bantery meet cute in the park. If you’ve watched the season yourself or know anything about this couple, it’s a given to mention their electric chemistry, (thank you very much for your service Jonathan Bailey and Simone Ashley!); you just can’t talk about Kanthony without mentioning it. Both of their characters on their own are complex and interesting. The two are burdened by family responsibility and can relate to a certain eldest child pressure, but soon they grow as individuals and learn a lot from each other. Anthony is hopelessly in love with Kate, (as she is with him, but he’s a bit more embarrassing and comedic about it), and it’s so fun to watch. We can’t help but love them! Some of my favorite moments would be their first meeting (of course), their competition against each other in a game of pall-mall, their arguing about horse races, their first dance, their epilogue scene, and, oh yeah, the whole “you are the bane of my existence and the object of all my desires” line that changed the course of history.

Janine and Gregory (From “Abbott Elementary”)

“Abbott Elementary” is an incredible show in its own right because of its comedy and lovable characters, but one of my favorite aspects of the series is the “will they? won’t they?” extreme slow-burn relationship between teachers Janine and Gregory. A true grumpy and sunshine pairing, it’s all about the little moments with these two. Moments like remembering each other’s favorite movies, noticing hair changes, knocking on each other’s doors, and bonding over the chaotic moments of their job are all included. Now, when I say this is an extremely slow burn, I don’t know how else to emphasize it. Every episode, I am so pleasantly frustrated, and their tension has me twirling my hair and kicking my feet, as some would say. Season 2 is currently airing and is giving us some more moments to freak out over. A passionate dance and an almost kiss in the snow?! The show’s most recent Valentine’s Day episode provided some miscommunication between the two, revealing that maybe we are just one step closer to a love confession. Janine and Gregory work so well together, it’s insane. At the end of the day, they will always support each other. That’s what truly matters and makes them special. People should watch out because they are giving other workplace romances a run for their money!

Kelly and Yorkie (From “Black Mirror: San Junipero”)

I’d like to think the reason this specific episode of “Black Mirror” won an Emmy was solely because of the cute and loving relationship between Kelly, the outgoing party girl with a heart of gold, and the sweet and reserved, Yorkie. This episode not only gives you a blossoming relationship, but it also deals with themes of death and the afterlife. The show is complete with 80s music and aesthetics and great LGBTQ+ representation! The couple dancing at nightclubs together and going on drives not only completes me but makes me wish I had someone like Kelly in my life! Yes, I am so jealous of people who don’t exist. Heaven is truly a place on earth when it comes to them!

Elle and Emmett (From “Legally Blonde”)

“Legally Blonde” is less a movie about romance than it is about Elle Woods slaying at Harvard and finding her self-worth while still loving pink, but who says a good feminist flick can’t have a little romance in it? The cute sub-plot of Elle and fellow law student, Emmett, never fails to make me die inside (in a good way obviously!) And, not to shift gears, but I need to highlight the musical adaptation because this version took their relationship to the next level. The show included more scenes of them, more instances of them supporting each other, more insight into Emmett’s character, and the last musical number is just… I can literally talk about them for hours. Both portrayals of them are great, but Laura Bell Bundy and Christian Borle provide magic on that stage. Emmett is literally the perfect man, perhaps the only man ever, and Elle Woods is one of my favorite characters of all time. It’s the pairing that was meant to be.

And before we wrap this up, here are some honorable mentions, rapid-fire style.

Nick and Charlie (From “Heartstopper”)

Say what you want about the fandom, but there’s a reason these two are so popular! 

Fleabag and “Hot Priest” (From “Fleabag” Season 2)

IT DID NOT PASS, IT WILL NOT PASS! I love you, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, but you will pay for this.

Jesse and Celine (From the “Before” trilogy)

I can write a whole article about them. I will write a whole article about them. They are my fictional parents.

Rosie and Alex (From “Love, Rosie”)

Childhood best friends to lovers. Sam Claflin and Lily Collins. Enough said.

Megan and Graham (From “But I’m A Cheerleader”)

You just had to be there!

Tom and Greg (From “Succession”)

Listen… they are not canon. They are two pathetic, problematic businessmen with a weird relationship. But, they are hilarious, and a thing about me: I like to make my friends happy, and this has kinda been my and my friends’ new thing (you know who you are!) So I hope they enjoy this questionable shoutout.

Alyssa Chierchia is a senior attending Rutgers University-New Brunswick. She is a Journalism and Media Studies major with a double minor in Gender and Media and Creative Writing. She will never stop talking about pop culture, feminism, or fan edits, and is usually watching a show or a movie in her free time.