Mashed Potatoes or Stuffing: Which is the Better Thanksgiving Dish?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Mashed Potatoes or Stuffing- Which is the Better Thanksgiving Dish?  

Okay, so there are plenty of really great and amazing dishes that you’ll encounter during Thanksgiving dinner. Aren’t side dishes the best part of Thanksgiving? Can you imagine Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes or, worse, stuffing? But what’s better? Keep on reading- you’ll find the correct answer (hint hint it’s mashed potatoes jk keep reading to make your own choice!).

Mashed Potatoes:

Mashed potatoes aren’t just delicious for their rich, creamy texture but the family bonding experience it offers. As a child, I loved being able to help my mom out in the kitchen. I, obviously, wasn’t able to cook anything on the stovetop but I could mash some potatoes. Mashed potatoes also have a tendency to go well with most dishes and incorporate their own unique flavor. Stuffing isn’t nearly as versatile with its flexibility to be paired with dishes other than turkey. Overall, mashed potatoes are just yummy yummy in your tummy! Wish I could say the same about stuffing.

Stuffing:

You can have mashed potatoes at any time of the year, so why would they be so special now? Stuffing is a different story entirely. A mixture of seasoned bread crumbs, vegetables, and butter- each bite will offer a new taste and texture that will remind you of what makes Thanksgiving so special, to begin with. I’m pretty thankful that stuffing is a dish that compliments just about any meal you’ll find on the dinner table- such as a spoonful of corn, a piece of turkey or ham, and a handful of cornbread. It’s great, it’s delicious, and it’s truly a Thanksgiving classic, unlike mashed potatoes.

Hannah Javed

Rutgers '19

Senior Editor at Her Campus Rutgers with a love for salads, pizza and bright lights.
Keoni Nguyen is a former undergrad student at Rutgers University and the former Co-Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Rutgers (2018-2019).