This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Now that the spring semester is ending and finals are approaching, it’s crucial to think about how you’ll recharge during the summer. Rest is as important as hard work, and you should prioritize rest this summer to set yourself up for a great fall semester or post-grad job. Here are a few suggestions of self-care activities you can implement into your summer routine that will clear your mind and boost your mood!

Daily journaling & gratitude

According to a study by the Duke Center for Integrative Health Research Team, journaling daily and practicing gratitude can be a game-changer for your mental health and physical well-being. By writing down your thoughts and feelings, you can process and release negative emotions, reducing stress and anxiety. Plus, focusing on the things you are grateful for can shift your mindset towards positivity and happiness. It’s a win-win situation, right? 

But wait, there’s more! Journaling can also unleash your creativity by allowing you to freely explore your thoughts and ideas. Plus, keeping a journal can provide a record of your personal growth over time, showing you how far you’ve come and helping you track your progress. So, if you’re feeling overwhelmed this summer, grab a notebook and start journaling. It might just be the self-care tool you need to prioritize your mental health and well-being. According to experts, here are the 15 best self-care journals of 2023!

Exercise

Self-care encompasses your physical, mental, and emotional health. Exercising is an important part of maintaining your mental and physical health. According to the National Library of Medicine, consistent exercise keeps your body strong and reduces anxiety, depression, and negative mood. Now that the weather is warming up and schedules are a little freer, it’s the perfect opportunity to focus on your individual fitness goals! Movement and exercise will boost your endorphins and confidence, whether that’s doing yoga, hitting the gym, or going on walks. 

Exercise can be intimidating, but many resources will help you work out safely and correctly, especially if you want to start lifting weights. Here is a list of workout influencers that may help you start to research what kind of exercise is the best for you!

Sunlight (With spf, of course)

The winter scaries are dwindling, and you may be excited for some fun in the sun after spending hours in the library this semester. Now that the days are longer, we can all look forward to warm summer nights and beach days. Some benefits of sunlight include killing bacteria, reducing high blood pressure, regulating the immune system, strengthening bones, improving sleep, and boosting mood. All of these benefits will aid in strengthening your physical and mental health, meaning you’d be achieving your self-care summer goals!

Even though sunlight is important, your skin deserves self-care too! If you want to soak up the sun, ensure you use SPF daily and stay hydrated to keep your skin healthy and safe. 

Time for friends and family

Stress relief is one of the most significant benefits of spending time with family and friends. College students often experience high levels of stress and anxiety, and socializing with loved ones can effectively alleviate these feelings. Engaging in fun activities and positive social interactions can help students feel more relaxed, rejuvenated, and energized.

Another important benefit of spending time with family and friends is emotional support. College can be challenging, and students may face various obstacles and stressors. A supportive network of family and friends can provide emotional support and a sense of connection, which is essential for maintaining mental health and well-being.

Combine hot-girl summer with self-care summer this season to recharge, boost your confidence, and become your best self!

Emily Ranieri

Rutgers '24

Emily is a senior majoring in Journalism and Media Studies. She loves reading, movies, art, and music.
Jenna Park is a current junior at Rutgers University-New Brunswick double majoring in Journalism & Media Studies and Sociology with a minor in Korean. She enjoys outdoor activities and takes photographs during her free time.