This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Being in the middle of a global pandemic was not in anybody’s 2020 plans for sure. The pandemic took us all by surprise, and now it is very unknown when things will change. With the colder months and holidays just around the corner, there are a few ways you can improve your mental and physical health to combat getting sick and being in quarantine. 

Skin Care

One way that everyone has been impacted by the pandemic is by wearing masks. Masks are important because they help stop the spread of germs. Though unfortunately, wearing masks especially for long periods of time cause acne. It is important to keep clean and make sure to combat acne; washing your face is especially important when you are leaving your house. Some of the best products I have used are farmhouse fresh, apricot scrub, and charcoal scrub.

Go for a walk

Grab your mask, a pair of sunnies, and your favorite leggings, and see the world! Although your scope is a little small given the shutdown, there is a lot you can learn about your own neighborhood just by taking a walk. I got to meet some of my neighbors whom I’ve never known before, a very friendly neighborhood cat, and some of the other dogs of the area while walking mine. Whether you want to go solo, with your mom, or with your dog, this is a great way to get those endorphins up and get some vitamin D.

Incorporate vitamins into your diet

Speaking of vitamins, it is good to make sure you get a good dose of vitamin C and zinc while the pandemic is going on. These vitamins can help your immune system to fight it off if you are in contact with a carrier. If vitamin supplements are not an option, you can also eat vitamin C and zinc-rich foods like oranges, eggs, shellfish, kale, strawberries, blackberries and mangoes. Green tea is great for the online semester, as it is a good source of antioxidants and vitamins to help improve cognitive function and focus.

Do yoga

Yoga has helped me a lot during quarantine. I was able to get some exercise every day, while also relaxing and slowing down my pulse and breathing. Given how stressful this entire situation is, yoga and meditation are very important.

Stay hydrated

Another way to keep your body strong and ready to fight disease is to stay hydrated. Make sure you are drinking at least 3 liters of water every day. If you exercise regularly, it should be even more than that. An easy tip to remember is that if your lips are chapped, there is a good chance you need to drink more water.

Start a Book Club

I found that starting a book club was an easy way for me to stay connected with my family, while keeping my mind sharp and staying well read. We allotted one month for everyone to read the book and would meet on Zoom to discuss it. Although it might seem like a lot of work, it is more rewarding than anything else to be able to finish a book not related to school during the semester.

Learn how to bake

One thing I have never experienced before was somebody complaining about too many sweets in the house. Although it is not the best to eat sugary snacks every single day, it is a lot of fun to bake and have some cookies at least once a week. You can also skip going to the grocery store by learning how to make a loaf of bread.

The entire pandemic has taken a toll on a lot of people. If you are lucky enough to have not lost your job or home, it is important to try your best to stay positive and act in favor of the greater good. Donating food, clothes, and money to charities to support people in need are some  of the many great ways to help others out during these unprecedented times.

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

Julia is a senior at Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences. Academically, she is interested in Egyptian archaeology and art history. Outside of classes Julia loves fashion, coffee, art, music and is a dedicated feminist! Her Campus is a way for her to combine all of her interests in a journalistic setting, and an organization she loves being a part of!
Aishwarya Sridhar is a senior at Rutgers University majoring in Cell Biology & Neuroscience and double minoring in Psychology and Health & Society. You can usually find her studying in a library or curled up on her favorite couch with a cup of coffee and a good book.