Wellness

Being ‘That Girl’ is Exhausting: A Realistic Approach to Wellness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

This past year, I’ve done a lot of work on myself. I needed to self-improve and, in general, start taking better care of myself. One of the most popular trends I noticed is the “That Girl” trend on TikTok. “That Girl” maximizes her time throughout the day, journals, eats healthy, exercises, meditates, and wakes up early. I tried to be “That Girl” and failed miserably, which makes me think the picture-perfect figure maybe doesn’t have a job or schoolwork. The more videos I watched, the more I realized how unrealistic it can be with an inconsistent schedule to put that much time into yourself every single day. There are some things that might not even work for you, and it’s important to remember the hard truth—we’re all human and healthy habits can be hard to form. 

Rather than focusing on “That Girl,” I focused on becoming a healthier version of myself that works for me and my schedule. It’s still a work in progress, but there are a lot of new tips I learned from my wellness journey. I’m not saying that it’s impossible to become “That Girl,” but it can be extremely challenging with the lack of time and resources college students have. It’s also important to account for changes in the workload you have every week and your daily exhaustion. To be fair, especially if you are a Rutgers student, it’s not like you are living in a quiet area where it’s easy to get consistent sleep. Here are 10 tips for college women to improve their wellness.

P.S. These have worked for me and some of my friends too!

Develop a skin care routine 

It doesn’t need to be complex or include expensive products. However, just spending time rinsing your face with water after waking up helps set the tone for your day. Not to sound basic, but my skincare routine is the highlight of my morning ritual. 

Drink a lot of water 

It can be easy to lose track of this, especially when you are on the go. I try to come up with little goals throughout the day. For example, I aspire to drink one bottle of water during each class I’m in and one in the morning before I start my day. Hydration is extremely important and an easy way to feel more energized.

Spend time with friends and family

This is the part that nobody really talks about—the importance of the good company. I personally have noticed that I spend a lot of time throughout my day alone due to the volume of work I do. It’s important to make time for the people who matter most to you. Even just sitting down for a quick lunch or walking to class with a friend can improve your mood and decrease your loneliness. I make it a point to see at least one friend a day and I visit my family at least once a week. If you cannot physically see people, it also helps to talk on the phone! My best friend from home and I have been doing Zoom calls where we watch a TV show together.

Eat Well

This might be the hardest part given how college students are surrounded by copious amounts of junk food. However, it’s important to keep everything in moderation and balance. I’ve started making avocado toast in the dining hall for my lunch with the guacamole from the taco station and toasted bread. I aim to eat a vegetable at every meal and limit the number of oils and added sugars in my diet. 

Walk

When you can, walk to your classes and jobs. Walk to the dining hall and back or just walk around campus for fun. Walking is one of the best ways to get in some exercise during the day and it’s pretty easy to do so. As a Rutgers student, I find myself often getting off the bus a few stops before where I need to be and walking the extra distance to my classes. As long as you budget enough time, walking is also a great way to clear your mind before going into a day of classes or work.

Sign up for fitness classes

I’ll be the first person to admit that I am not disciplined enough to go to the gym on my own merit every single day. It can be hard to feel motivated, and honestly, some days I’d rather go back to my room and binge watch trashy reality TV over a tub of Ben and Jerry’s. I find it helpful to sign up for some of the classes Rutgers offers for free. This holds me accountable for at least three days of the week at the gym and ensures I get my exercise in. It also gives me the chance to skip a day of working out if I had a long day and have a fitness class the next day. 

when you can, go on an adventure 

Another issue with the “That Girl” mentality is that it follows such a structured daily routine. Structure and discipline are important, however, so is spontaneity. It’s important to sometimes just say, “What the hell?” and leave your daily routine. I like to plan day trips once a month to get out of my comfort zone and daily bubble. Little adventures are also great, like impulsively calling a friend to see if they want to get dinner on a night you planned to stay in. While the structure is good, it’s also important to explore and have fun. 

Learn a new skill 

I don’t have an issue with journaling per se, it’s just not my cup of tea. Rather than a journal, I like to use that extra energy to learn new things. I began learning how to code in Python and am also learning Polish. You don’t necessarily need to do either of these activities, but it’s good to sharpen your skillset as well. Think of skills you’ve always wanted to learn and add them to your daily routine. I do my coding lessons on the bus and my Polish lessons before I shower at night. I try to devote 20-30 minutes a day to do both.

Read every day for fun 

You read that correctly, reading can and is fun. One of the most tragic things about college is how much energy is sucked out of reading. A lot of reading is required for classes, which makes people less motivated to read leisurely in their free time. However, reading is very relaxing and helps expand your mind while taking time for yourself. Books of essays are a good point to start if you don’t have a lot of time. “Bad Feminist” by Roxanne Gay is one of my favorites. However, I also love reading fiction and wellness-based books. You can read whatever you want to! I’m currently reading Diana: Her True Story by Andrew Morton, an expose on the late Princess Diana. 

Buy yourself gifts every now and then 

Remember that it’s very important to treat yourself once in a while. Even if it’s just splurging on a Starbucks latte or buying yourself a new hand cream, getting little gifts for yourself helps to improve your mood. It is also nice to reward yourself for all the hard work you do every single day! 

The moral of the story is to take care of yourself and do what you need to be the best version of yourself. It can be hard to lose track of this with all that goes on throughout your life. However, whether you want to be “That Girl” or another version of yourself, live your best life! 

Julia Fuchs

Rutgers '22

Julia is a senior at Rutgers School of Arts and Sciences. Academically, she is interested in Egyptian archaeology and art history. Outside of classes Julia loves fashion, coffee, art, music and is a dedicated feminist! Her Campus is a way for her to combine all of her interests in a journalistic setting, and an organization she loves being a part of!