This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

I’ve been vegan for about a year now. Even though I am the only one in my family who does not eat any animal products, everyone loves what I bake and cannot believe that it is vegan! Baking is a hobby that I picked up quite recently trying to conquer my sweet tooth and find new ways to incorporate vegan-friendly ingredients. Especially during uncertain and lonely times in quarantine, baking is a great pastime to pick up that’ll help you de-stress and pass the time. And at the end of it, you get a delicious treat to share with your family! Here are my favorite recipes that are all plant-based:

Vegan Carrot Cake with Vegan Frosting

This cake is an absolute hit in my house. Oftentimes you’ll find my parents and my brother fighting over the last slice because it’s that good! It’s moist, creamy and the frosting is to die for. I made this cake for both my parents’ birthdays and it was extremely well-loved. I don’t usually add the protein powder because I don’t feel the need, and it tastes fine without it in my opinion. You can make this recipe gluten-free by substituting the regular all-purpose flour for gluten-free flour.

Vegan Lemon Drizzle Cake

I recently made this cake as a warm welcome to spring. It’s very popular in the UK, and the flavor is lovely. It is tart, light and an ode to the warm weather ahead. It is so simple and faster to make than you would think. You can even decorate the cake with edible flowers to make it look even more stunning than it tastes.

Vegan Vanilla Cake

This was the first ever vegan cake I attempted back in December. Although I managed to get frosting everywhere but on and between each layer of sponge, it tasted gorgeous. It was very fluffy and light, and tasted even better when served up with some strawberries. This recipe is so simple and can even be made into cupcakes! The recipe is the same apart from the frosting: ½ cup of vegan butter instead of 3 tablespoons, only 3 cups of powdered sugar instead of 3 and ¾, and omit the non-dairy milk. Instead of placing the batter into a cake pan, pour the batter into 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Vegan Oatmeal Cookies

Cakes not your thing? These oatmeal cookies taste scrumptious and have a very simple recipe. Even though your hands get a bit dirty in the process, the result tastes so yummy. You can also feel free to add some raisins or other dried fruit into the mixture if that’s your thing. Pro tip: wet your hands before rolling out the mixture and putting each ball on your baking sheet – you’ll encounter a lot less stickiness.

These are my favourite things to bake, no matter the season or the occasion. These recipes also work as great gifts and could even be incorporated into an Easter dinner as the dessert. I hope this article inspires you to spend some time in your kitchen baking everything that your heart desires. Happy baking!

Élise Breton-Jones is a junior at Rutgers University-New Brunswick pursuing a degree in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in Sociology. Born and raised in London, she adores travelling, working with animals and finding new spots to eat in New York City that accompany her vegan diet. Her passions involve - but are certainly not limited to - social justice, boba and browsing Twitter.
Cassidy hails from Delaware County, Pennsylvania and is an undergraduate Journalism and Media Studies major and Psychology minor at Rutgers University with a passion for telling stories. She is the current Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Rutgers.