self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness

5 Habits to Become Your Best Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Improving your life doesn’t have to be hard! The habits that you incorporate into your daily routine play a significant role in the quality of your life! Here is a list of five simple habits that could dramatically improve your life and help you become the best version of yourself. 

Make Your Bed

One of the first ways to start your day off on a good note is to make your bed once you wake up. Making your bed seems like a miniscule action, but it is a productive way to start your morning and prepare you for the day ahead. Plus, nothing is better than coming home after a long day to a clean, made bed! The way you begin your day has a large impact on how the rest of your day goes!

Move Your Body

Movement is not only important for your physical health, but also your mental health. Exercise has a number of benefits including reducing anxiety and improving your quality of sleep. Also, it releases serotonin and dopamine, known as the “happy hormones.” Incorporating a daily workout does wonders for your quality of life and will help you feel overall better, even if you only have 10 minutes. Taking a walk, doing yoga, and lifting weights are great examples of simple, yet effective forms of movement. Exercise should not be stressful, it should be fun! Finding ways of movement that work for you is the most important way to create consistent movement in your life!

Prioritize Sleep

All of our lives we have been told by doctors to make sure we are getting adequate sleep. However, many people do not take their sleep seriously, which could lead to poor health, low energy, and a weakened immune system. Getting at least 8 hours of sleep is extremely important in order to feel your best. Making sure you are sleeping enough is beneficial for your physical and mental well-being and allows you to get more done throughout the day, with more energy. If you struggle with getting enough sleep, here are some ways to fall asleep easier: avoid caffeine before bed, limit screen time an hour before sleep, or try melatonin supplements.

cooling sheet?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Slumber Cloud

Stay Organized

The amount of impact that your space has on your life is underestimated. You may have heard the saying, “Your room is a reflection of your mind” and though this may seem like a silly little quote, it has a significant meaning. Organization is key to keeping order in your life. Staying organized is actually a lot easier than it seems. Small tasks such as tidying up for 10 minutes before bed each night, keeping a planner, or creating a morning routine for yourself can be a great way to stay organized every day.  

Get Ready Every Morning

When you look good, you feel good! Before you start your day, dedicate some time for yourself whether that means doing your skincare, hair/makeup, or putting on a nice outfit! Taking care of yourself and putting effort into your appearance is a great way to boost your mood and self-esteem. The small act of wearing your favorite hairstyle could help you start off your day on a positive note, and help you feel more put together. Create a morning routine for yourself and watch your confidence grow!

Of course, there are many other ways for humans to thrive, such as eating well, reading, or waking up at 6:00 am. Yet, quite frankly, life gets busy and those acts can become difficult to achieve. The habits listed above are small, simple ways that you can easily achieve! Give these habits a try and watch yourself transform into the best version of yourself.

Shelby is a current junior at Rutgers University-New Brunswick Majoring in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in Gender and Media & Sociology. Shelby enjoys reading and writing and all things wellness and beauty!