stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Easy to Follow Cleanses for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

What’s a cleanse and why should you do one this Fall? By definition, a cleanse is a  process or period of time during which a person attempts to rid the body of substances that can be described as toxic or unhealthy, typically by consuming only water or other liquids. Fall is a new season and it’s all about change. It’s also the perfect opportunity to start fresh. So what better time to do something bold and exciting than right now.  Here are five easy cleanses you need to try this Fall:

1. Lemon water 

Source

Lemon and water. That’s it. This is by far the simplest morning cleanse I’ve come across. All you have to do is squeeze one whole lemon (or lime) in a cup full of water. Replenishing your body before starting the day is just as crucial as a wholesome breakfast. This cleanse will help your digestive system by enhancing digestion, increasing your metabolism, and cleansing your liver of toxins. Its anti-inflammatory properties are perfect for preventing sickness (and acne!). And unlike what most people believe, lemon is an alkalizing agent when ingested with water which in turn will help balance your pH and it is a great source of vitamin C.

2. Aloe, lemon and water

Source

As much as we are used to seeing aloe in lotion and body gel products, it is also safe for consumption. This easy recipe only calls for some fresh aloe leaf, lemon and water. After carefully peeling off the skin of half a palm size piece of aloe, chop it up and blend it together with some lemon and a cup full of water. Aloe is a bit slippery but pretty tasteless so once it is blended together you won’t even notice it is there! Aloe is full of antibacterial properties so it is great for improving skin conditions like acne and rashes. For those who do not have sensitive skin, you can even apply it directly to the affected area for more results. It is also known to lower blood sugar levels and helps with heartburn. It also increases your metabolism which some believe can be a great addition for weight loss.

3. Garlic water

Source

Alright, I know what you’re thinking, garlic in the morning? No way. But trust me, this drink is easier to prepare and not as strange as it sounds. Just fill up a juice jar with water and a couple peeled cloves of garlic and let it soak overnight before you drink it in the morning. The sulfhydryl compound in the garlic helps detox your body from all the food you consume during the day by allowing the body to dispose of the accumulated toxins. This will help you with your digestion and upset stomach. Garlic is known for preventing many diseases with its powerful antibiotic properties. It also helps with the common cold; just chop up some garlic, ginger, lemon, and mix it all together with some hot water and honey. This tea is packed with antioxidants that will boost your metabolism and help fight back that stubborn cold!

4. Apple cider vinegar, honey, and water

Source

Now this one I’ve tried for the longest and I must say so far I love it. Also very simple to make, add 1 to 2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with Mother (which means unrefined apple cider still with the culture of beneficial bacteria) and mix it together with some hot water and honey. By diluting it, you make it safe for consumption as it is highly acidic. This detox will help remove toxins from your body and aid in weight loss. It balances your body’s pH and it will boost your immune system. After trying this detox for 3 months, I especially noticed an improvement on my skin as I also suffer from acne. Sometimes I would also physically apply it to the affected area on my face for a few minutes and I would notice that it helped with inflammation and scars. I suggest people with sensitive skin try diluting it prior to application to prevent irritation. Honey is also anti-inflammatory and a good source of antibiotics. Otherwise, the honey almost makes you believe you’re drinking tea and not vinegar!

5. Parsley and lemon water

Source

Last but not least I present to you my latest detox attempt, simply parsley and lemon water. All you have to do is take a handful of parsley and blend it together with a cup of water then squeeze a lemon to top it off after blending. This drink is easy to drink and packed with incredible benefits. Parsley contains high levels of flavonoids that prevent all kinds of cancer. It is high in antioxidants and, once again, anti-inflammatory. It helps prevent allergies and it will help regulate your immune system. Parsley is also a good source of folic acid which helps prevent heart diseases. Now this is off the book but whenever I take this bad boy it regulates my bathroom trips and I seldom get as hungry and bloated as before. It is my go-to-drink for the past few weeks and I so far I am loving the great benefits from it!

So there you have it, five easy cleanses that you should try this Fall. If you do try one of these cleanses and find yourself loving itt pass it along to your friends, roommates, family, etc. That way everyone gets to see their body transform in a healthy way!

Alexis Martin

Rutgers '19

Blogger Babe + Owl Lover. Currently a senior at Rutgers University pursuing a bachelor degree in Criminal Justice. Things I love more than HC... brunch, planning, the city, and of course Netflix! I also have a blog over at www.alexishoots.com! Go check it out if you loved this article!