10 Useful Classes Every Rutgers Student Should Take Before Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rutgers chapter.

Maybe you’re someone who’s just looking to add an extra class for the sake of credits, or someone seeking to genuinely quench their thirst of studying enlightening and engaging subjects. Either way, here are some classes that I have taken or that others have repeatedly recommended; besides helping you in a myriad of ways in the real world, they may even pique your interests and motivate you to pursue the subject as a major or minor.

1. General Psychology 01: 830:101

Source

OK, you won’t come out of this class as a certified psychiatrist practitioner; nor will you be able to perform Freudian dream analysis to reveal others’ unconscious thoughts. However, you will be able to better understand the human mind and its tendency towards various behaviors. This understanding will enable you to you to become more empathetic and perceptive in your daily interactions- whether they’re in the casual/social arena with friends and family or within the professional settings of the workplace. You’re bound to have a deeper understanding of your relationship with yourself too.

2. Introduction to Computer Science 01: 198: 111

Source

It’s no surprise that computers and technology have revolutionized the modern world, making what were once considered Herculean tasks now manageable within mere split seconds. Human lives are essentially running on software, and it’s time to get on the developer bandwagon yourself. Computer science is not only about programming, but this class will focus largely on and introduce you to programming techniques amongst other concepts. Don’t feel intimidated; programming can get frustrating, requiring patience and a great deal of practice, but it is also extremely rewarding and will open many doors for you once you finish your own creative projects. An intangible benefit is the quality of persistence, which will undoubtedly become a part of you the longer you decide to study the subject. Who doesn’t know the feeling of gratification when their program runs, even if it’s just a simple “HelloWorld!”?

3.  Any Foreign Language

Source

Maybe I am biased because I am a language nerd, but seriously, everyone should study a foreign language. Besides the fact that language learning is some of the most fun you’ll ever have in a classroom (again, maybe it’s just me), you will also be moved out of your bubble to see and experience the vastly fascinating cultures around you. You will be fostering positive intercultural relationships while becoming worldly-wise and better suited to function in the global economy. It is entirely up to you as to which language to study, but some of the most useful languages to learn include French, Spanish, German, and many more. What’s nice is that foreign language classes at Rutgers are generally small, allowing for ample speaking practice and better communication amongst students and the professor.

4. Writing Classes

Source

I know, none of you want to think about the eternal sleepless nights and the outrageous hair-pulling induced by the fiend known as Expos 101. You’re probably twice shy of taking another writing class, but you do need to realize that writing is an indispensable skill for college students. Succeeding in college is largely dependent on how well you are able express your thoughts in a clear, concise, and above all, convincing manner. Only effective writing will allow you to do that, and your high school classes most likely didn’t live up. Fortunately, Rutgers offers multiple writing classes that aren’t Expos 101- from Scientific and Technical Writing 01: 355: 302  to Business Writing Essentials 01: 355: 303, you will find a writing class to suit your future career plans. Research Writing In The Disciplines 355:201 is another compelling class that offers many sections in a semester, each of which revolves around an appealing theme- from Science and Power to Outside the Box. You’ll also fulfill a core requirement along the way.

5. Principles of Literary Studies: Poetry 01:359:201

Source

Many students are discouraged from trying to study this unique literary form due to its non-linear and seemingly complex way of getting ideas across. This is true; humans are extremely used to communicating ideas in simple, straightforward ways. Why then does poetry have to make things so complicated? Decoding poetic meaning is an art form in itself; by understanding and unraveling a poem’s form, structure, literary devices, and historical background, you can form intricate analyses with a heightened sense of appreciation. What’s great is that there is no right or wrong- you can come to your own conclusions, and have your own ideas of the speaker’s motivations and goals based on the literary techniques employed. I personally found this class to be one of the most intriguing and enjoyable with a high level of involvement.  

6. Introduction to Linguistic Theory 01:650:201

Source

For those of you who don’t know, linguistics is essentially the scientific study of language. What exactly is language? How do we know it? What exactly do I know when I “know” a language? These are some quite difficult questions to answer, and I won’t guarantee that you’ll know all the answers after taking the class, but you’ll definitely be moved to think about language with a new perspective when you emerge from the other side. Wilhelm von Humboldt, a philosopher and linguist, once said that “Language makes infinite use of finite means.” Just think about that for a second. Want to know more? Sign up for Linguistics 201 for the next semester if you haven’t already.  

7.  Astronomy and Cosmology 01:750:110

Source

The origins of the universe, the matter that space is made of, and the idea of an ever-expanding cosmos are some of the most groundbreaking scientific discoveries ever made. Being geared towards non-science majors, this class won’t make scientific learning overly complex; at the same time, the theories and ideas taught will be inspiring and wonderful to know about. The scientific method will be introduced to you, which always helps in an increasingly tech-oriented world. Also, let’s be honest- who isn’t fervently in love with the magical night sky?

8.  Introduction to Western Art History- 1400 to Present 01:082:186

Source

A class on modern art history is bound to leave you more knowledgeable, literate, and intellectually prepared for your next museum visit. You’ll get a general idea of the intellectual movements of the 20th century while also learning the principles behind modern and postmodern thinking. Why is this important? In an increasingly visually-focused world, you will receive a lens through which to observe everything with a critically insightful approach. Think of images as a language through which you can communicate and make sense of the world around you.

9. The Mathematics Of Money 01: 640: 106

Source

While this course is not intended for math and science majors, it is highly recommended for everyone, because personal finance is important in the day and age of the stereotypical broke college student. This class is highly applicable, teaching you concepts such as interest calculations, student loans, retirement plans, mortgages, insurance, and much more. The math you do in this class will for once be useful in your real life.

10. Public Speaking 04:192:380

Source

Personally, I am wary of this one as public speaking isn’t my strongest suit. If you didn’t know already, America’s top phobia is the fear of public speaking itself. I am here to tell you that you should muster up the courage and take the class anyway. Trust me, it’s totally okay if the thought of public speaking makes your anxiety travel through the roof- this class will help you find your voice and make you more confident as you learn to make more sophisticated, credible, and convincing speeches. Don’t worry about anyone judging, you’re there for yourself. Like any other skill, this one requires practice and experience, but you’ll take what you’ve learned and apply it in a lot of scenarios. These include delivering better presentations, answering interviews more effectively, and even talking to that attractive person sitting at the library every day.

Over your time at Rutgers University, you will be given the option to take many different courses. We hope that you are inspired to engage in some of these classes in your upcoming semester. 

Sanika is an undergraduate student at Rutgers University-New Brunswick studying computer science. Besides writing for HerCampus, she advocates for diversity in STEM through RUWiCS and for social issues through RUHSC. In her free time, she loves reading, biking, painting, and exploring brunch places with her friends.