mental health resources?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health resources?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Life is far too short to be sour. Happiness is something we all deserve, even though our brains may tell us otherwise. So, why does everyone around me struggle to accept this fact? Whether it be a broken heart, a stressful life, or worrisome ways, many people that are closest to me, and even I fail to be happy. They’ve been beaten down and broken so many times that they worry about things that are unchangeable, and can’t seem to move on from the fact that their own lives “suck” (when they don’t).

In trying times like these, it’s especially important to look on the bright side of things and remain optimistic. I’ve always been the type of person to be more positive and serve as my friends’ voice of reason in their lives. Little did they know I was battling severe depression and anxiety while tending to their personal problems. However, I’ve taken it upon myself to use my own perseverance and advice to help those around me that could be feeling worthless or are going through a rough patch right now.

sad girl in blue sweater near window
Anthony Tran
I’m going to start off by saying: Trust me, I’ve been there. I’ve been in your shoes, whether it’s not the same exact situation, or it is, I’ve felt as though I don’t belong or I’m a mental mess. But the most important thing to remember is the fact that there are worse situations, and that it will get better. While this must seem like the most cliché thing I could say, it’s a simple truth.

You’ll find better opportunities, people who will treat you better, and your own health isn’t the end of the world. Take it from a Type 1 Diabetic who’s gone through hell and back with the emotional, physical, and mental tolls of this horrible disease for almost 18 years. It will get better. Your life is something that is valuable to those around you, and you will find this within yourself eventually. You’ll learn how to take care of yourself and find new things that you’ll use as healthy coping mechanisms that will make you happier than ever.

Continuing on, it’s important to face adversity with your head up. Honestly, life does completely sucks at some, if not most times, and that’s totally okay; but it is how we overcome these misfortunes that define us as a person. I’m a strong believer that we’re all fated to the lives we have and it’s our own attitudes that control our outcome. By now, I’ve learned that living life without always blaming yourself is a much happier life than the ladder. From time to time I find that people dig themselves into a rut that they can’t get out of. It’s important to get into a headspace where you don’t feel sorry for yourself all the time and stop beating yourself up so much. Other people don’t feel sorry for you, so why should you? Get up, dust the dirt off and move on. Don’t give up so easily. You were made to crush this life and break the ground that you stand on.

Kellyn Simpkin-Strong Ass Powerful Girl
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
As soon as you’re faced with a challenge, instead of giving up, embrace it and demolish it to the best of your ability. Don’t lose your motivation and surround yourself with people who will always be there and challenge you to be the best you, you can be. For those of you that are happy, be the rainbow in a cluster of clouds. Be a strong support system for those around you that would do the same for you. Build habits that help you on your journey to happiness. Be your own leader, because all of your voices and opinions deserve to be heard.

Now, all of this may sound easier than it actually is, especially for those of us that struggle with mental health issues like myself, but with a good support system and honesty, anything is possible. Most importantly, remember: life is a marathon, not a sprint. It’s going to be long, grueling, and you’re going to have to be disciplined, but the end result will be beautiful and totally worth it. Stay strong and keep going. When life gives you the sourest of lemons, squash them, add some sugar, and make the sweetest of lemonades.

You are beautiful, and you are worth it. Remember that. <3

self-love

Maranda is a Senior Writing Arts and Emergency Management dual major at Rowan University. She hopes to become a published poetry author and eventually go to law school or work for Homeland Security. In her free time she enjoys listening to all genres of music, reading, creating art, writing poetry, and watching 80s movies.
Destiny is currently enrolled in Columbia University's MFA Writing program. She is a national writer at Her Campus and the former editor-in-chief of Her Campus Rowan. She likes thrifting, romance novels, cooking shows, and can often be found binging documentaries.