Trade Your “Finsta” for This Cool Instagram Account Idea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

We remember the era of “Finstagram” right? Raise your hand if you still have yours even if you don’t use it anymore (Because I do and haven’t touched it since, like, August 2021).

It’s safe to say that we moved past the era of spam posting our feelings or privately talking about our crushes in our authentic IG accounts. But, if you’re not quite ready to give up that side account but also incorporate your creative side, try creating a “Wrinstagram.” Yes, it’s officially a new word.

Take an example from our senior editor, Jennifer McGraw’s account, @jenn_writes444. A “Wrinstagram” is kind of a virtual journal where you post writing-related content in a relaxed way.

McGraw’s poetry background stems back to high school when she would write as a way to help her mental health. After much consideration, she decided to turn that hobby into a side gig and write a few poetry books. Now, she writes poetry to share relatable words with others.

That’s one of her goals on the writing page. Another goal is to share her reading journey and accomplishing her New Year’s Resolution of reading 34 books this year. After each book, she reviews them and shares her thoughts about why she chose to read that book.

Why should you create a “wrinsta?” Our senior editor weighs in.

Creative outlet

Poetry and writing in general are great ways to express and make sense of your emotions. Even if you can’t find that ABAB rhyme scheme, just putting your thoughts down on paper can help.

A 2021 study found that when 44 pediatric patients were given opportunities to read and write poetry, feelings of fear, sadness, anger, worry and fear decreased. A majority of children said they felt happy after the activity and that it gave them a distraction from stress while providing an opportunity for self-reflection.

Watch yourself grow as a writer

Even in the beginning if you’re not the best writer, you’ll find yourself growing over time and getting even better. What will be cool about this is that you’ll see gradual progress in each of your posts.

They say to become a better writer, you should read. Consider reading poetry that you connect with and copying their style in your own way on your posts. Connect with other poets on Instagram and read their work, too. This poet writes beautifully. And this one. And this one, too.

Set your own goals

The beauty of a “wrinsta” is that, yes it’s a way to share your writing, but it doesn’t solely have to be writing. On McGraw’s account, she shares personal accomplishments, her reading journey and her poetry. Your account can incorporate anything you want that is special and unique to you. The sole purpose should be to express yourself creatively on an online platform.

she/her - Audacy sports writer - podcaster - love writing about everything