jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Things I Put Up with when I was 13 That I will no Longer Tolerate 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Being told fair is better: 

For so long being light-skinned has been regarded as better than being dark-skinned and that is not okay. I think one of the worst things that existed when I was growing up was a product called Fair and Lovely. This product is a whitening cream that is supposed to bleach and whiten skin. It is a degrading form of skin whiting and I don’t believe it is a healthy form of improving your skin. Unfortunately, this whitening cream still exists, but many millennials find it problematic because it promotes light skin people as prettier than dark-skinned. 

Being told that if I just lost a few more pound I would look perfect: 

This one really tugged on my insecurities. I had so many aunts and uncles come up to me and say things like, “You look nice if you just lost a few more pounds you would look so much prettier.” I will never understand why they felt they were allowed to have an opinion on my body and yet here we are. I think the most frustrating think about it when I think about it now is that I was incapable of fighting back because I was so insecure and so young. 

Being told that I should get married to a rich man: 

I’m not really sure why it was necessary for people to tell a 13-year-old girl who they should marry but it still happened. I was told to look for a rich person as if I could not be self-sufficient. I was also told to look for a man is if my sexual preference was out of the question.

I still can’t fathom how people had the audacity to say these things to a vulnerable young girl but they did. If someone said these things to me today I would not stand for it. And it is important to me that other young girls should not have to deal with these things the way I did. 

Tanvi is is a sophomore perusing a double major in entrepreneurship. She’s on the executive board of the Rowan University’s Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and the President of Period at Rowan University. Tanvi works as the social media marketer for a few startups companies. She loves the artist Frida Kahlo and the T.V. Show New Girl.