This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Plum is in! Red lips are a classic, and nude is a girl’s best friend. But what’s this new craze that has girls’ lips looking edgy and fierce? PLUM LIPS. Sounds weird? I thought so at first too, but don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!

Step 1: First things first. Test the color before you buy it.

Put it against your skin to determine if it will be too harsh or too pale. Personally, the ultra-bright reds don’t really work well with my face, so I don’t wear them. It doesn’t mean I have to forget buying red lipstick altogether! Instead, I go for a darker color, and I love those results!

Step 2: Don’t forget about lip balm!

Here’s a little trick that I have been doing lately, and my lips haven’t suffered since! I buy tinted lip balms, and then buy a corresponding lipstick color.

For example, I bought Maybelline’s Baby Lips in “Grape Vine”, and then proceeded to buy Maybelline’s Color Sensational “Mauve It Up” (#440).

I first apply “Grape Vine”. The results are simple and thin (may look differently on you). I allow a few seconds for the balm to dry and form on my lips.

Step 3: “Mauve it Up!”

Next, I apply “Mauve It Up” over the lip balm. I tend to coat my lips two to three times for the color to be more dramatic.

(Optional: If you want to look very dramatic, and have even coverage on your lips, then buy a purple/plum/grape lip liner and line your lips prior to lip balm.)

Step 4: Pout or Smile, and be Fabulous!

The beauty of this look is that it can make any outfit POP, and you’ll stand out from the crowd! Whether you are going out to a party, have a steamy date, or you just want to be glammed out for no reason!

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!