This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

So, you did it! You found your dream internship was posted online. You know you have a killer resume. Your cover letter? Stunning. The recruiter clearly thought so, too, and now you’re being contacted about an interview, and you’re FREAKING OUT.

Interviews are scary. Talking to someone about why they should hire you is intimidating. However, with the right prep work, you will kill that interview!

Research the Company

This is big. Never go into an interview blind. Do your homework on the company. Go through their website. Read their mission statement. Look at what type of events they do. It is so important to just find out as much as you can about the organization so the interviewer feels like you really want this job.

Prepare Your Elevator Pitch

“Tell me about yourself.” Everyone loves to talk about themselves, but often when being put on the spot, your mind goes blank. Avoid this by making sure you have an elevator pitch. Craft a 30-second speech that reflects your background and accomplishments. Don’t be afraid to brag about yourself, but don’t be too cocky.

Ask Questions

At the end of every interview, the hiring manager will always ask if you have any questions. ASK QUESTIONS!! The one I like to ask is what has made them stay with the company. This is especially good to ask when the manager has been there for over 10 years. Also, always ask if they have any questions or concerns regarding your resume. Take this feedback and use it to your advantage! You can either address those concerns there or use them for your next application.

Send a Thank-You

Always always always send a follow-up email within 24 hours, preferably the same day, to the person conducting your interview. Thank them for their time and you look forward to hearing from them. This could be the deciding factor between you and another candidate. Always include a personal touch to it whether it’s something you liked hearing them talk about or a piece of advice they gave. It shows you were actively engaged.

I hope these tips help you ace your interview and get you that internship you really want. Don’t be afraid of failure either. Every no is just one step closer to the yes you’ve been waiting for!

PR & Advertising student. Plant & art enthusiast.
Tanvi is is a sophomore perusing a double major in entrepreneurship. She’s on the executive board of the Rowan University’s Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and the President of Period at Rowan University. Tanvi works as the social media marketer for a few startups companies. She loves the artist Frida Kahlo and the T.V. Show New Girl.