stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Into Fitness at Rowan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Growing up with an older, athletic brother, I was always exposed to sports and was encouraged by him and my father to join various teams. After an unsuccessful season of softball, and realizing my 5’ 2” stature would get me nowhere in basketball, I fell into soccer. Soccer, from the age of 6 all the way until my sophomore year of high school, kept me well in shape. Musicals, a job, and an increased work load caused me to quit the sport and fall into a not-so healthy lifestyle. Sure, I would run every once in a while, swim in the summer, maybe play recreationally with my friends, but nothing too intense (I would still get quite out of breath running up the stairs). I knew that once I entered college, I wanted to whip myself back into shape — better shape than I had ever been in. Luckily, the Fitness Center, for the entire month of October, was offering the Fall into Fitness Program: if you take at least 15 group classes that vary in discipline, you get a free t-shirt and are automatically entered into a raffle to win lots of other amazing prizes.

(Rowan’s Fitness Center- picture from Google)

Fortunately, my roommate was just as motivated as I was to do this challenge, as well as get healthy in general. Starting the first week, we went in full force: 5 days, 5 classes. From Zumba to cycling to Pilates, I was engaged in more exercise that one week than I had done in 3 years.

(Photo of people doing yoga- picture from Google)

Throughout the past month, my roommate and I did over 15 group classes, pushing ourselves every week to try something new. If one of us had class, then the other had to go alone, but we did everything we could to get to the gym every week. By the end of the month, I was more flexible than I had ever been (although I still can’t touch my toes) and I just overall felt much better. I had more energy, I felt more relaxed, and I felt much happier. Exercising definitely helped improve my overall health, and although the challenge may be over, I still plan to continue being active. To all of you other college girls hoping to avoid the haunting Freshman 15, my advice is to find a gym buddy and get to work!

Tyra Gwalthney is a Junior Dual Major in Law and Justice and Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management in the Honors Concentration. Alongside HerCampus- and being a HerCampus Trendsetter- she also is the Vice President of the Animal Advocacy Club, and enjoys volunteering as often as she can. She loves dogs, summer, the beach, and anything involving chocolate. Want to chat? Email: gwalthnet0@students.rowan.edu