Do’s and Don’ts at a Frat Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

I really wish there had been more articles about this when I went to my first Frat Party. I was so nervous about getting caught/drinking/guys, that I constantly took headcount of all my friends and wore a sweatshirt (so as not to let the Police know we might be headed to a frat in our party clothes). I’ve come a long way from that, so here are my tips on how to have the best time at a party with minimal freaking out.

DO

• Go in a group and stay with everyone in your group.

• Pee with your friends. It’s better that way, trust me.

• Bring two ponytails, one for yourself when you get sweaty, and one for your drunk friend who will wind up puking in the frat house.

• Talk to other people and mingle.

• Request songs at the DJ booth.

• Look hot and wear something you are comfortable in.

• Wear the crappiest shoes you own because they will be trashed in the morning. Designate those as your “frat shoes.”

• Bring your own drink in case you hate what they have, or don’t feel like drinking.

• Hold on to your own cup.

• Drop your cup before you leave the house (esp. if there’s a cop outside).

• Drink and be merry. Dance A LOT.

DON’T

• Go by yourself or leave your group for some guy. (Do stay together!)

• Get drunk to the point of no return… it’s not cute.

• Make out with more than one guy at the same party. It might cause drama.

• Drink a stranger’s drink. Stranger danger still applies at 20 something years old.

• Be assholes to the frat brothers or their property. They don’t have to welcome you into their homes, so respect it the best you can.

• Show up with zero ratio and expect to be let in. My friends and I have tried so many times. It just doesn’t work.

• Worry! Seriously, don’t worry. Just have the night of your life.

Have fun everyone. Be safe out there :)