DIY: Makeup Brush Cleaner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Being a fashionista collegiate comes with a lethal, and incredibly low, budget plan. You’ll settle for Ponds Makeup Remover, because let’s face it, it makes your skin feel as soft as butter and it’d be ridiculous to pay the $25+ for a professional makeup remover. You may also settle for the common “drug store” makeup rather than visiting your nearby Sephora. We need to make those Boros last, ladies! So here’s a step-by-step tutorial on washing your cosmetic brushes on a budget! This miracle worker was found all within the contents of my refrigerator. 

Here is what you will need:

–          A small bowl

–          Olive Oil/ White Vinegar (either one will work!)

–          Liquid dish soap

–          Your makeup brushes (obviously)

–          A towel/napkin

–          Mason jar

1. Set everything up so that you can have all of which you will need at your disposal:

(I used both methods, White Vinegar and Olive Oil, to determine which I preferred)

2. Mix 1 cup of lukewarm water, 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil or Vinegar, and 1 cup of dishwashing detergent all into the bowl.

3. Dip your brushes into the mixture bowl until a lather begins to form.

4. Rinse your brushes off under cold, running water.

5. Squeeze off any excess water and rest brushes on a clean paper towel, while doing this you can use the time to clean up.

6. Be sure to dry your brushes facing down so that water does not get trapped inside. There are various things you may use, but I placed a napkin down within a mason jar to let my brushes dry.

7. Dry time all depends on how well you rinse off the brushes. The more water trapped within your brushes, the longer you will wait (and most likely have to rewash them).

Results

I was more than thrilled to have had clean, like-new brushes to use and on an affordable budget. The only con to this method is the preparation time and ingredients. It is a lot easier to spray Sephora’s Master Cleanse onto a towel and rub your brushes clean, but that’s only if you are willing to spend the $15+ a bottle. I found this to be not only a fun experiment to try, but an accurate one when living the life of a fashionista on a budget! 

Results with White Vinegar: During my first try, I used White Vinegar and saw that it cleaned the gunk out better than Olive Oil, and it dried a lot quicker. In my experience, the scent of vinegar slightly lingered though when reading online others say that it did not linger for them.

Results with Olive Oil: On my second attempt I swamped the vinegar for the olive oil to avoid the lingering scent afterwards. Olive Oil made my brushes smoother, but the dry time was faster and I needed to rinse my brushes longer to remove all the olive oil. 

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!