Dear Future Husband: Why Meghan Trainor nailed this song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Meghan Trainor received a lot of negative backlash for her hit single “All About That Bass” for what critics say has caused emotions of body-shaming and incorrectly empowering women to love their bodies, but when it comes to “Dear Future Husband” she hit the nail on the head. Here are some lyrics pulled from the hit song that showcase just how awesome this song is. To all future husbands out there, take note!

·         “Dear future husband, here’s a few things you’ll need to know if you wanna be my one and only, all my life.”

Right off the bat she gives her future husband a heads up of what is expected of him, which is good, a man shouldn’t expect the girl to be so easily swooned.

·         “Take me on a date. I deserve it, babe, and don’t forget the flowers every anniversary. ‘Cause if you’ll treat me right I’ll be the perfect wife.”

Yes, she does deserve to be taken on a date. And flowers, because, why not? It’s mutual respect. You treat your girl right, and she will treat you right in return.

·         “You got that 9 to 5,  but, baby, so do I. So don’t be thinking I’ll be home and baking apple pies.”

A Stepford Wife is not promised, nor expected. Women have jobs, women have careers. That won’t end just because there is a ring on the finger. You want a pie? Bake it yourself.

·         “Don’t have a dirty mind. Just be a classy guy.”

Be a gentlemen! Women want a man, not a boy. There’s a reason Christian Grey was such a hit, he knew what he wanted and how to get it. Dirty jokes are alright every now and then, but don’t tell a woman a dirty joke and act surprised when she rolls her eyes; chances are, she’s heard it before.

·         “You gotta know how to treat me like a lady. Even when I’m acting crazy. Tell me everything’s alright.”

She wants you to love her regardless of her flaws. When she is angry, sad, mad or acting crazy. She wants respect. The song is not “Dear Future Boyfriend,” it is “Dear Future Husband” meaning she is looking forever. And if that isn’t something you can do, well….

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!