7 Signs You are a Creative Writer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

7. Colors are not just colors.

Blue is no longer blue when you see it. Its cobalt, turquoise, the color of a Dasani bottle. The fact of the matter is, you no longer use the generalized name of a color when describing things outside of the writing world.

“He had chocolate brown, ruffled hair and emerald green eyes in the shape of almonds.”

Or something like that.

6. Books and other authors are sometimes your enemy.

Books are now your competition. You might walk by your collection of Harry Potter, glaring, while saying “You…” in a low, grouchy voice. Books are also your companions. You feel like they understand you because you spend a good amount of your time writing them.

5. You daydream. A lot.

Bombs bursting. Gorgeous vampires. The end of the world. Whatever your muse, it’s constantly on your mind. You have to force yourself to pay attention to the present, to school, to chores, and you get upset when you can’t focus on your characters and writing.

4. You narrate the current situation in your head.

You are sitting in class when you suddenly begin to narrate (internally). 

Professor Rogers swaggered into the classroom carrying his pretentious, oversized cup full of rum induced coffee.

Face it. You do it. You are probably narrating this entire siutation right now. 

3. You hear voices.

The voices of your characters, that is. You will hear the raspy voice of a rebel on his way to take down the kingdom that betrayed him, or the struggling soul of a heartbroken woman writing letters to an old lover. When these voices begin to talk, you listen, and it helps your writing. 

2. You lose track of real life events.

You may have been knee deep in a good story, maybe about an unsolved murder, and suddenly ask a friend about it.

“Did you hear about that girl was murdered and buried within the walls of a high school?”

Whoops! That didn’t actually happen (at least not to my knowledge) you just spoke about your story!

1. You spend a majority of your time staring into a blank screen pr sheet of paper.

Because writer’s block sucks. 

Jaymilynn, also known as Jaymi, is a 4th year Senior at Rowan University. She is currently studying for her Bachelors in Public Relations, and is pursuing a minor in Advertising and Journalism. She is also pursuing a concentration in Creative Writing. Jaymi hails from the small Mom-And-Pop town of Galloway, New Jersey. She is a member of Rowan's PRSSA. Jaymi is also a staff writer for the on-campus school newspaper, The Whit. With big dreams of being a novelist someday, Jaymi spends a majority of her time reading books and working on writing a book series of her own. To friends she is known to be a bit cynical, but loveable as well. A Mac'N Cheese fanatic, faithful Yoga attendee, and an extreme chocolate lover! She's a wide-eyed girl ready to take on the world one sarcastic comment at a time!