What to Do if You’re In Love with Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Falling in love with your best friend sounds so cliché, but in reality our generation, and surely those before us, have fallen for this tragic love affair. I am talking about the overwhelmingly nervous feeling you get when your silly, cute friend makes a joke that you two understand. Or when they hug you super hard after not seeing you all summer; remember the way Gordo would look at Lizzie McGuire? That’s the feeling I am talking about.

We may have felt this way about past guy-friends, but never really acted on it. Maybe because we cherish the mysterious flirtation, or couldn’t admit to the fear of losing our homie. Or, even still, we respect the boy/girl friendships that do not revolve around sex too much to jeopardize it.

Situations like these occur often within groups of college girls. Friends will discuss the non-existent, yet apparent chemistry, that has suddenly grown for that one boy (or girl) since the beginning. But, instead of waving a red warning flag, we all begin “awe-ing” and commenting on how cute the couple would be—if it were to happen. Which has lead me to question: Would it work out?

What happens when you pay attention to those feelings when around that special someone? What about those dating rumors you’ve heard? Is that just a cover-up? Do they feel the same? Does he give that look to everyone? Or what if they think you are crazy for thinking they liked you and you never hear from them again? Questions that can be answered if you finally get the courage to express your feelings for them…

In a perfect world you confess your love and luckily they do too. That kiss you have been dreaming of finally comes and you live happily ever after. I suppose this happens to some people, but it all starts with a confession. It can be really easy to realize feelings exist, but it can be the hardest thing to act upon them.  

The key to a happy relationship is to be honest. Unleash the confidence that Gordo always dreamed of having and let the special someone know how they make you feel.

Maybe he’ll become more than just a friend.