Kanye Western plus UCLA equals Black Face

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

Cultural Appropriation is the use of elements of an oppressed culture by members of a different, more powerful, culture and it has been happening for years. Within the last week, Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity and Alpha Phi Sorority at UCLA threw a party with the concept of Kanye western. it was said that they dressed up in baggy clothes, gaudy gold chains and padded butts. If that’s not black face, then I don’t know what is. Sadly this is nothing new. Black face began in the 1800’s as a form of bigotry entertainment. It became most popular in William H West minstrel show .

These Minstrel shows were considered to be wholesome family entertainment, but it did nothing except fuel offensive and hurtful stereotypes. It influences the idea of the “Happy-go-lucky darky”. Often times there would be propaganda that showed slaves as being happy and comfortable with their actual dismal lives. Eventually it was discontinued during the civil rights movement.

After this incident, I have come to this question, Do white people know that this is offensive?” I believe they do but their privilege allows them to think they will get away with it. There is realm of secrecy in white Greek culture; this was shown when the University of Oklahoma’s chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon sang “There will never be a Nigger SAE”. If it wasn’t for the video no one would have known about it and they would have gotten away with it. When things like this happen they get publicized but rarely punished. I wonder why this isn’t treated as a hate crime? Regardless if it’s a costume and all in fun, it’s still racist and hurtful. Sadly enough I don’t think anything other than them being suspended from the school and maybe having fines will happen. Nothing will come of this but a slap on the wrist. 

Black Lives matter movement was started as a cry for justice, a justice that was never received.  This was a reminder that we as black people matter regardless of how apparent it is that we don’t. The Afrikan Student Association enacted a similar hashtag: #BlackBruinsMatter, sending a message to their school that they too matter and want justice. The injustices against black people and their culture seems to be never ending. It seems as though society knows what not to do and the reasons why, but they disregard it and do as they please. If this was any other culture being exploited, I know this would not be tolerated and justice would be swift and final. There has to come a time when black people’s pain and history will be valued….and that time is quickly approaching. 

Hello everyone! My name is Maiya Sinclair Asia Onie Patrice S. In the mean time I will be going by M. Sinclair. It is the pen name I have chosen to write under. I am 22 years old and born on July 23rd, 1993 on the West Side of Chicago and I currently live in the suburbs. I love Chicago! There is no greater city! Yes I am a Leo!! It is one of my worst and BEST qualities. In my opinion and by conclusion based on others, I am a witty creative mind, with a pure genuine since of self. I am a little weird at times, but aren’t we all? I have just figured out that there are degrees of weirdness. I have an appreciation for art and wine respectively, no wonder why they go so well together!!  I am seriously musically inclined, meaning that I have played two instruments in my life I did color guard for six years. FYI: THIS IS DEFFINITELY A SPORT.) Aside from playing instruments I can also sing and dance. When I say I listen to music ALL day EVERY day, I mean it. Sometimes if I don’t listen to music I feel completely off. I have a wide range of listening choices; I love jazz classical all the way to show tunes and musicals and that includes everything in between. But my go to Pandora station is Erykah Badu. That station is definitely the truth. Music is a huge part of my life. I would like to believe that I am both smart and intelligent because in my opinion there is difference in having done well in institutionalized education (smart) and having the ability to apply the knowledge you gained in daily living (intelligence). I am pursuing a Journalism degree at Roosevelt University with a minor in African American Studies.  I chose my major because I genuinely feel like I have something meaningful and inspiring to share with the world. As a journalist I want my work to create conversation and provoke change. I promise to always uphold the truth to the best of my abilities. I will not create stories or issues just for views. Journalistic integrity is of the highest importance to me.  I hope that having a little insight into my life and mindset has intrigued you to want to keep reading. I hope you all enjoy them and can relate.