This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.
Its about that time to start applying and interviewing for summer jobs and internships. We know that this process is super nerve-racking but we know you have the skills to nail the job questions. Okay, you finally finished the interview. You think you can stop sitting up super straight and grab your belongings and leave. NOPE. The interviewer asks “Do you have any questions for me?”

Please don’t ever say no. You do have questions. You might not know what they are but it is definitely a good idea to think of some. Here’s why:

• An interview is actually about how you can help the company succeed
  • The interviewer feels that you’re interested and prepared for the possibility of starting this process. 
  • You don’t want any surprises on your first day… or tenth day. 

My advice is to take some time the day before your interview and think of at least 5 questions you want to ask. Some can be general questions and others more specific to the job. Here are some examples!

1. If I get the job, how do I earn a “gold star” on my performance review? What are the key accomplishments you’d like to see in this role over the next year?
I got this advice from my business teacher. Knowing the goals set for you are super important before you even get the job. Goals should not be a deal breaker (because goals set for you are usually reasonable) but, they can give you an idea of the pace of the job.

2. What’s your (or my future boss’) leadership style?
If you boss’ leadership style involves constant checkups and you’re someone who likes to work independently OR if your future manager is Laissez-faire and you’re comfortable with a more hands on manager, you’re able to make educated decision.

3. What type of people are successful here? What type of people are not?
A successful type is different at different jobs. There are people who need to take initiative when taking on tasks or someone who just needs to chill and be a team player. Whether the recruiter’s answer does or doesn’t fit your description, that is good information. You can either leave knowing that you weren’t right for the job, or leave knowing what to work on if that if that is a position you truly want. 

4. How did your get your start in this industry? Why do you stay?
The interviewer can be completely caught off guard because they did not plan on talking about themselves but it’s still a good question. This can really give you an insight into what you’re in for. Once I got such a passionate response from my interviewer who was IN LOVE with the company’s mission and how dedicated they were to social justice. She cried. It was awesome. 

5. How does the company / my future boss do performace reviews?
You want know how and for what are you being evaluated. Actually, here is a better question: What is your reward system? ​Since you and I both know that we wont be failing at a job any time soon (bam! encouragement), you should know the criteria for which is rewarded. 

6. What is the timeline for making a decision on this position?
Nothing is worse than staring at your phone for DAYS when the company honestly wont be making any immediate decisions. A follow up question could even be: If I am not offered the position, should I still be expecting a (rejection) email/call? (Dear job recruiters: rejection emails are great. Please reject me with words and not silence. Silence keeps me up at night. lol)

7. What’s one thing that’s key to this company’s success that somebody from outside the company wouldn’t know about?
I think this is a pretty cool question. Like today, I interviewed at my favorite store ever. I thought their core competency was customer service. During the interview, I found out that the managers also have a major role to play in the merchandise ordered, product displays and are very empowered in authority to make decisions. That is something I did not know just from shopping there but I can now tell is a definite key success factor.

8. Can I have your card?
Send a thank you email! Do you know how many applicants don’t even make it to the interview portion? You definitely should thank the recruiter for taking the time out to meet you and consider you. It truly is an honor. 

*Write these questions down in your porfolio/notebook that your bring to the interview. Make sure you have the porfolio, the questions, your resume and references on hand. Bring all of that to the interview table

TBD