Hallows Eve Festivities at Roosevelt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Roosevelt chapter.

This is Halloween …This is Halloween. Yes! This is my favorite time a year. Most people I know are waiting for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Nothing wrong with that but who doesn’t love the cult classic scary movies, grim costumes, and the best of all…candy, loads and loads of c-a-n-d-y Even though this is a festive holiday, sometimes plans fall through or you just may not have any. This is what’s been happening on our campus!!

The Wabash Community Council led by the Co-Directors of Programming, Jutae Steele and Tania Ortega, held a Halloween Kick-Off. It was called “The Night of Hauntober”. There they had games and snack. They had Karaoke and music for those who didn’t want to play games or watch Nightmare on Elm Street. Tania Ortega volunteered her services and did face painting and fake scar applications. I can still hear the screams of excitement in my ear.

Halloween is the onetime of year where you are allowed to be someone or something else for a day. As I was walking through the bride that links both of our academic buildings I noticed a very big poster.  On the poster it said “I pledge to not appropriate cultures for my Halloween costume.” Because Roosevelt University is a Social Justice Institute, it isn’t surprising that there is a group on campus taking a stand for others. I will totally sign it, will you?

This past Thursday the spooktacular Desert Crawl took place. It allowed students to go to all the participating offices and get all the sweets their hearts desired. It was hosted by Melissa Stutz and the WoW! Committee. They put this program on so they could unite the faculty staff and students. One of the offices that participated was the Office of Admissions.  They all dressed up as minions.

The Academic Success Center Threw a Halloween Fest. They had loads of Free Food and candy. They also hosted a Halloween costume party! This is somewhere I would’ve been yesterday.  The students were dressed up all during the week so I’m sure winning the contest would’ve been easy.

The Counseling Center wanted to make sure that our students were safe this year by hosting a program where they raise awareness about the effects of excessive drinking. October 26 through October 30th is Alcohol Awareness Week.  On Monday October 26th their program was centered on knowing the proper drink sizes and alcohol safety. Thursday October 29th their program was about seeing how your senses are impaired under the influence. In honor of this week, I hope everyone learned a lot from the programs and will have fun this weekend but also be safe with their alcohol consumption. Please Drink Responsibly.

The International Student Association celebrated Halloween and Dia De Los Muertos.  They had traditional decorations with the Mexican Sugar Skulls, ate Quesadillas and enjoyed dancing the bachata. Mixing in the American Halloween traditions they too had a costume contest along with some pumpkin decorations and a mummy wrap. It’s great to see one holiday bring two different cultures together. I’m sure it was a fiesta!!

The Students Programming for Enrichment, Enlightenment and Development (Speed) Board gave the students a “Halloween Hangover”. They brought in a hypnotist to get everyone in the mood for this weekend’s festivities. They also had face-painting food and more.

This week Roosevelt really showed its enthusiasm for Halloween. I’m so proud to say that I attend a school that is so open to letting students feel free to express themselves and put on the programs of their liking. Halloween is only a day away, so everyone get your costumes ready, watch all your favorite movies, and go out and enjoy your evening.  

Hello everyone! My name is Maiya Sinclair Asia Onie Patrice S. In the mean time I will be going by M. Sinclair. It is the pen name I have chosen to write under. I am 22 years old and born on July 23rd, 1993 on the West Side of Chicago and I currently live in the suburbs. I love Chicago! There is no greater city! Yes I am a Leo!! It is one of my worst and BEST qualities. In my opinion and by conclusion based on others, I am a witty creative mind, with a pure genuine since of self. I am a little weird at times, but aren’t we all? I have just figured out that there are degrees of weirdness. I have an appreciation for art and wine respectively, no wonder why they go so well together!!  I am seriously musically inclined, meaning that I have played two instruments in my life I did color guard for six years. FYI: THIS IS DEFFINITELY A SPORT.) Aside from playing instruments I can also sing and dance. When I say I listen to music ALL day EVERY day, I mean it. Sometimes if I don’t listen to music I feel completely off. I have a wide range of listening choices; I love jazz classical all the way to show tunes and musicals and that includes everything in between. But my go to Pandora station is Erykah Badu. That station is definitely the truth. Music is a huge part of my life. I would like to believe that I am both smart and intelligent because in my opinion there is difference in having done well in institutionalized education (smart) and having the ability to apply the knowledge you gained in daily living (intelligence). I am pursuing a Journalism degree at Roosevelt University with a minor in African American Studies.  I chose my major because I genuinely feel like I have something meaningful and inspiring to share with the world. As a journalist I want my work to create conversation and provoke change. I promise to always uphold the truth to the best of my abilities. I will not create stories or issues just for views. Journalistic integrity is of the highest importance to me.  I hope that having a little insight into my life and mindset has intrigued you to want to keep reading. I hope you all enjoy them and can relate.