Wellness > Mental Health

Why it’s More Important than Ever to Reach for Support

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

As college students, we all know what it’s like to feel so stressed out that you think your face might split open and your inner monster will come out to play with the next person who asks for one more thing from you. Stress looms over our day-to-day lives and is linked to 9 out of 10 leading causes of death in this country. However, when we interpret stress in a positive context and try to manage it in a healthy way, we can train ourselves to respond better to stressful situations- mentally and physically. (*check out this TED talk for more: https://rb.gy/7xytws ) 

Channeling stress positively is of course easier said than done. Humans have developed coping mechanisms over time like the “Fight or Flight” response (when a person either confronts or runs from a threat to survive). When the Flight or Flight response was initially studied, researchers were only observing the male response to stress. They discovered that when men experience stress they release testosterone, which triggers the Fight or Flight response.

Recently, a more detailed study showed that women release a hormone called oxytocin in response to stressful situations, creating a new kind of stress response called “Tend and Befriend” (serving others versus socializing with others) Women tend to create deeply connected social circles to discuss their emotional difficulties more often than men do. This use of a social support group has been proven to help women’s mental health.

It’s the times when you and your girlfriends race to see who can drown their stress with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s the fastest in a judgement free zone. Being in a social support group means being present and available to others during their own times of trouble. This gives us the feeling of being needed while at the same time making our overall mindset more positive. 

Turning to a social support group might already be an automatic response for you during times of stress, but if you tend to pull back or stay reserved, consider how seeking out the support in your life and taking advantage can change your overall health in ways you probably never thought possible. In other words, grab that ice cream and settle in for a supportive vent session! 

I discovered my love of writing - all types of writing - in Mrs. Graham’s 8th grade English class and never looked back. As a sophomore at Rollins College majoring in Theatre and Psychology, I am grateful for the opportunity to share my voice in this way. As I continue toward my goal of attending law school and eventually practicing law, I am excited to share my perspective and expand my understanding of the important issues that impact the lives of other young women in our Rollins community and beyond!
Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.