What You Might Forget When You Take Adderall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

On a college campus at the height of a new semester, it can sometimes feel like at every corner you turn in club Olin, Starbucks or the campus center, people are on or looking for Adderall. The widespread availability and easy access to stimulant drugs on campus makes it easy to find students who have it. Like with any drug, the risk of addiction, as well as physical and mental health effects should be the first things you consider, but in reality that isn’t the case for most students who are looking to get an academic edge. These crucial four years are full of experimentation, but college is not the time to dive into using a drug like Adderall without knowing the facts. That’s why we’ve created this guide to what you should be thinking about when you’re thinking of taking Adderall.

The Different Types

It’s become common on college campuses across the country for students who have never been diagnosed with ADHD to use Adderall to grind out work, and it is equally as common for students to lump similar drugs into a category even though they are all different. It’s important to know that there are two families of stimulants like Adderall- pills that contain amphetamine and pills that contain methylphenidate, like Ritalin and Concerta. Popular brand names for drugs can be confusing, so it’s important to know the facts. Adderall and Vyvanse are both in the amphetamine family, but are different in release time and side effects. Vyvanse lasts a full twelve hours, while Adderall only lasts two to six hours depending on which type you take.

Release Time

Immediate release and Extended release are the two types of Adderall. Immediate release gives users an energetic boost for up to four to six hours, while extended release stimulates for up to twelve hours. If you use Adderall regularly and are thinking of graduating from Immediate to Extended because you just need a little something to push through that last bio chapter or get through exam week, be aware that this is how both tolerance and dependence grows, and it only takes the blink of an eye for the body to depend on a stimulant like Adderall. Most immediate release Adderall pills contain half extended release properties and half released, but they both share the same side effects of irritability, high blood pressure, and loss of appetite.

Longterm Effects

After taking Adderall, users typically feel a “crash” that usually comes with a surge of fatigue and irritability. Because Adderall changes the dopamine activity in your brain more and more over time, it can make it more and more difficult for our brains to experience pleasure. When the brain becomes dependent on a drug with such heavy influence over mood and mentality, the motivation and productivity Adderall grants can quickly develop into depression and fatigue.

Aside from addiction and dependence, there are parts of our bodies that we don’t think would be affected by Adderall, but are affected even more over time. For example, the way our kidneys release essential hormones like renin, which we need for producing red blood cells, can be greatly affected by Adderall use. If you’re someone who has or does snort adderall, the sped-up adrenaline and spiked heart-rate may seem like a fun idea on a night out, but can lead to severe lung damage due to the fillers in the medication. These ingredients can block blood flow in tiny vessels when you ingest Adderall by snorting it. When it comes to Adderall on college campuses, self-awareness and awareness for your friends is the best possible way to manage the popularity of stimulants, and remember the potential your body and brain have without the help of prescription drugs.  

Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.