Career > Her20s

How to Avoid GirlBossing Too Close to the Sun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

We’ve all heard about Girl Bossing: an ancient tradition of being fantastically confident in one’s womanhood. While it may be suppressed at times, women everywhere eventually find their way to the ideal of GirlBossing. Now, what is ”GirlBossing too close to the sun” you might ask? Well, it’s when one projects their ethereal womanhood and gets lost in the sheer power of GirlBossery, committing acts that result in difficult situations. S0, let’s look at preventing this avoidable and slightly uneasy occurrence. 

In order to explore the inner workings of GirlBossing too close to the sun, we need to examine the phrase’s origin. If you hated learning about Greek Mythology in school, this is your time to actually enjoy it. The original GirlBoss’s name was Iccarus.

A gorgeous Greek man was trapped in a tower with his father and decided to make wings out of candle wax to escape. Iccarus’ father only had one piece of advice: ”DO NOT FLY TOO CLOSE TO THE SUN!”  Why, you might ask? Obviously, as every Greek tragedy goes, Iccarus Girlbossed a little too close to the sun, melting his wings and plummeting to his death. Here’s how to navigate and avoid these instances in modern times. 

Identifying ‘The Sun’

1. We’ve all had those days where we sit on our phones scrolling through Tik Tok for hours. During your journey through the abyss, you might even hear the audio referring to the very topic of this article. If you’re not in a relationship, your “For You Page” will be the exact opposite, giving you aspirations of the “Cuffed” life. Then you realize you are sitting alone in your bed surrounded by Cheeto dust or way too many pillows (Don’t get me wrong, both are acceptable). Through making these comparisons, your mind has already GirlBossed too close to the sun. 
  2. The alternative to this Tik Tok scenario is when your For You Page is filled with nothing but food and exotic travel. You imagine the breeze of Bali in your hair or the taste of Parisian pastries, only to be brought back to the reality of 50 thread count sheets and yet again, Cheeto dust. Your mind has again, Girlbossed too close to the sun. 

Finding the Solution

1. First of all, DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO ANYONE. YOU ARE A GIRLBOSS. 
  2. Secondly, yeah, Bali is great, but look at you. You are a strong young woman pursuing an education to one day fulfill a career. I’d say that’s true GirlBossery at its finest.

So, what have we learned? The ‘sun’ is the unrealistic and unhealthy expectations set by other people, ourselves, and social media. Desperately trying to pursue what we don’t have will inevitably lead to a plummeting, tragic GirlBoss death. Instead, try to focus on all of the amazing things you’ve accomplished and will continue to in the future.

Remember, everyday is a GirlBoss day.  Don’t focus your time trying to fly higher than you need to. Not all fulfilling paths in life require being close to the sun. Don’t think I forgot about all you men out there- your species has been awarded the title of Man Managers. With such a title comes great responsibility, so make sure to buy that SPF 100 babes…  because Man Managers tend to get burnt. 

Emma Barefoot

Rollins '24

I am a sophomore at Rollins College. I have always loved writing but did not have an outlet for my work and I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus. I love meeting new people and writing about things that are relatable and helpful for the women of my generation!