Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Sydney White / Amanda Bynes
Universal Pictures
Life > Experiences

How Going Through Sorority Recruitment Changed Me For The Better

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

If you told me a few years ago that I would join a sorority in college, I would not have believed you. I grew up on movie cliches, and have never been known to participate in things that don’t work to better me as a person. However, after arriving at college, I quickly noticed that all of the people I gravitated to were in Greek life. The kindest, funniest, and most self-assured girls I met were all a part of sororities. I decided just to try to rush because I knew that even if I did not join an organization, the experience would be once in a lifetime. Not only did I end up in an amazing sisterhood of women, but my recruitment experience genuinely changed who I am.

I have been interviewed more times in my life than the average person, however, going through recruitment improved my interview skills immensely. Talking to people constantly throughout multiple days about myself, my values, etc. completely diminished any preceding fears about my social skills, because of how much conversation I was having with completely different people constantly. Before recruitment, I would consider myself a slightly socially anxious person, but going through the process showed me that I can carry conversations well and that I do have interesting ideas to add to them. I have done interviews for internships and other things since then, and I can truly say that I have walked into them without any fears because I became so secure in myself throughout recruitment.

I went into the recruitment process genuinely unsure whether or not I would end up joining a sorority, and I was completely okay with whatever outcome transpired. This mindset allowed me to open up to everyone I talked to, and I was able to show my true self because I was unafraid of rejection. However, I was extremely surprised that my openness and exposing of my true self were actually embraced by the girls I talked to. I became more and more confident throughout the process, and came out of it so assured that who I am is enough, and people do enjoy me. 

Among all of these great aspects of recruitment, I also have to mention the fact that it introduced me to some of my best friends. It is crazy how a few minutes into meeting somebody you know that you fit well with them, and I had that experience multiple times during recruitment. I am genuinely unsure if I would know them if I didn’t take this leap and just try rushing, and this is the main reason I am so grateful for the experience.

I would recommend just trying sorority recruitment out to anybody and everybody. Far too often, people will focus on the end goal of joining an organization, and view the process as nothing but the narrowing down of houses until you find your favorite. I completely disagree. For me, the process completely shifted my perception of myself positively. I am now so secure in myself, and my endeavors, and am a part of an organization that I value greatly because of my efforts. I can’t recommend going Panhellenic enough!

Savanna Stebbins is a staff writer for HerCampus Rollins College. Before transferring universities, Savanna also participated in the Northeastern University HerCampus as the Director of Social Media and as a staff writer. Beyond HerCampus, she is currently serving as the Digital Outreach Chair for Delta Zeta at Rollins, overseeing and running the chapter's social medias. In her free time, Savanna enjoys reading psychological thrillers, trying new food around the Winter Park area, and FaceTiming her parents back in Connecticut to see her dog. She runs a small business selling thrifted clothing to promote sustainability, and spends most of her free time thrifting.