This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rollins chapter.

Internship application season is back in full swing, and things are going to look a bit different this year. Making a good impression is challenging when you can’t connect with employers face to face, but the circumstances also give us lots of new opportunities to show off our assets. We’ve got you covered with the ultimate guide to making sure you get the internship you’ve always wanted. 

Know Your Sh*t

The most impressive thing you can possibly do in an interview is be able to ramble fast facts about the company. When the interviewer asks you why you want to work for their company specifically, it is not enough to explain how passionate you are and how much you admire the company’s work ethic. Instead, visit their website, social media accounts and Linkedin to make sure you have their mission statement memorized. Look into their past blog posts or web content and be ready to list specific projects they’ve worked on that you admired the most.

If you’re thinking of applying to work in a field you don’t have any experience in, don’t stress out! The internet is a magical place, and you can brush up on all the essential buzzwords of any industry’s vocabulary if you take the time to do so.

Finesse Your Zoom Look

Skype, Zoom or Webex interviewing is going to be either more or less nerveracking for you depending on your preferences. One thing is certain- while in person you would’ve been able to strut into HR rocking your favorite power pants, your appearance will be analyzed from above the shoulders now. Bold, brightly colored pieces are going to be your best friend on virtual interviews, but you don’t want to overdo it.

That’s why I reccommend working natural, simple makeup with a bold red lip- this accent will make the motions of your mouth stand out on a computer screen, and it will help them separate you from the crowd! 

Use Snail Mail 

Yes, I said it. After your interview, it’s a great idea to send a hand-written Thank You card in the mail to HR. I cannot emphasize enough how impressive this is to employers- it adds a unique, personal touch that sets you apart and shows you are well-versed in business etiquette. Bosses like to see that you genuinely appreciate their time, and writing a Thank You note sends a message of organization and attention to detail- now those sound like some good qualities to have in an intern! 

Meredith Klenkel is a Senior English major and the founder of Her Campus at Rollins. She aspires to write comedy for late night T.V one day and publish her own memoirs.