The Best Late Night Snacks: As Told by a Freshman Afraid of the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

One of the most common pieces of advice given to college freshmen is to be careful not to gain the freshman 15! Although some claim that it is just a myth, the F15 is scarily easy to achieve, and ridiculously hard to lose.

Late night studying, unlimited meal swipes, and post party snacking are just a few of the activities that can lead to the famed weight gain. While many people say that after dinner we shouldn’t ever snack, as a college student, I know that this is unrealistic. When it is 12:30 am and you’re still studying for that chem midterm or desperately trying to finish that psych paper, a small snack is a great pick me up.

So, avoid the temptation to order in Insomnia Cookies or head over to Late Night Douggie and try some of these snacks instead!  

Carrots and Hummus

Literally nothing beats some classic Sabra hummus and baby carrots for dipping. Don’t like carrots? Try peppers, celery, or any other veggie of your choosing. Hummus is chock full of protein and flavor, so it’ll keep your stomach full and your taste buds happy.

Almonds

Almonds are my favorite snack to have before I go out! Go for a lightly salted or plain option – they’re really healthy and keep the stomach grumbles at bay for the rest of your evening. Just make sure that your roommate doesn’t have a nut allergy before buying them!

Rice Cakes and Peanut Butter

Possibly the most low-cal snack ever, rice cakes are the greatest snack for when you just need something to munch on. Sure, they don’t have much flavor, but that’s what the peanut butter is for. Smear it on top like an open face sandwich (and add some chocolate chips or granola on top!) or dip the rice cake right into the jar. It’ll keep you full and satisfied for the rest of the night, I promise!

Wheat Thins

Surprisingly delicious and whole wheat (!!!), these are a great option for that late night tummy grumble when you’re studying. If you’re up doing work, you’re bound to start craving a midnight snack. Why not make it a healthy one? Munch on them solo or pair them with some sharp cheddar cheese for the ultimate study snack.

Trail mix

The perfect mix of salty and sweet, savory and sugary, trail mix is perfect for literally any situation. Whether you danced up a storm at a frat house and got a craving or you’re just hanging with friends, you can’t go wrong with this tasty treat. Buy it in store or get creative and make your own – either way, it’ll definitely hit the spot.

Do you have any other favorite late night snacks? Let us know in the comments!

My life motto is that if mint chocolate chip ice cream can't fix it, you're screwed.