Wellness > Health

Is the Universe telling me something?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

I am a robust and active member on campus. I work three jobs that entail very different but fulfilling work. I am the chair of one club and the vice president of another. I write on the side for Her Campus while juggling a full class load. I try to make time on the side for fun activities, self care, and community service, while also hanging out with friends and acquaintances. I feel as if the list goes on. My days are long and filled with meetings, classes, and activities. I feel as if I’m always on the move. However, this is not me complaining. I enjoy what I do and for why I do it. But is it too much?

My latest adventure

As a fun way to start off the school year, my friend and I wanted to find an activity we can have fun and stay active while doing it. Our campus has its own rock climbing gym where students can go bouldering (rock climbing but not as high and without harnesses) on the weekends.

We rented out shoes and decided to hit the rocks. After being there for an hour I could feel myself getting tired. I wanted to try one last wall course before calling it quits.

It was then, while 10 feet off the ground, I could feel my body finally starting to give way and lose grip of the wall. I knew I had to come down, and had only 2 options: climb down or fall down. Both are good options, if you do it correctly. I knew I didn’t have the strength to climb back down so my only option was to fall. This is would’ve fine, except there is a right and wrong way to falling and I didn’t pick the former.

This landed me in the ER waiting room for 8 hours, only to discover that, while I didn’t break anything, I badly strained the muscle by my leg and calf when I landed on it.

I enjoyed going rock climbing and getting out there and trying new things, but not ending up like this. Being on crutches made me realize how lucky I am but how I might be pushing it too close.

Simple things such as walking to class or work tiring me out and kill my legs. My arms are sore from crutching and juggling stuff with one hand. What used to be quick and easy now takes 5-10 minutes longer just to get it done. Is this a sign?

Taking a step back

Sometimes you just have to stop, take a deep breath and put things into perspective

Katrina Mayer

After only a week of dealing with this, it seems as if this was the universe’s last chance of telling me to STOP.

I know I do a lot, but it doesn’t FEEL like I do a lot, until I can’t. The amount of times my friends, family, peers, co-workers, etc., have said I’m doing a lot, it wasn’t until now that it finally clicked.

It wasn’t until me hurting myself that I had more courage to say no to things, knowing I would be too tired to go. It wasn’t until I put myself to my breaking point, without even realizing, that I need to take a chill pill and just relax.

I'm a creative writer at heart and love to write about my experiences around me! My only flaw about this, is I tend to procrastinate sitting down and writing it out!