This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

Disclaimer:  The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus.

Spring semester of 2021 is half way done. With going through week 7, which means most students are either in the middle of mid-terms or just finishing. Without spring break, it is important for students to actually make their own time to take care of themselves not only physically but also mentally Although mental health does not show up visually–you don’t cough or have fever–it can impact your daily life as much as physical health can. 

So, here’s the real question: how is everyone dealing with their mental health? 

If anyone wonders about my mental health, sadly I am not doing really well. Dealing with at least three mental breakdowns per day, I learned a few things that I do that crash my mental as it piles up AND things that help me prevent it from falling apart. Based on them, I made a quick checklist for me to  visit every time I feel like I will have another mental breakdown, or just during the day whenever I remember.

My Mental Health Checklist 

1. Stop worrying about things that haven’t happened 

One thought can lead to another and another, keeping you up all night. I know it is hard to not worry but try as much as you can to stop worrying about something small. And remember that worrying will not fix anything. 

1. Make sure to eat something

People work in the same concept of cars. Just like cars that need fuel to move, people need food to process properly. Eat something–preferably something healthy and proper food, not chips–you will be surprised by how simple the human body is.  

1. Exercise, and if I can’t, at least move a little

Best way to stop thinking about the smallest thing is to move your body and get physical. But I understand that sometimes we don’t have the energy to exercise. Then it doesn’t have to be a lot, simple things as stretching can help too.

1. Talk to someone or something

Keeping to oneself works for some time, but sometimes we need a third perspective. Talk it out and you might get advice you never thought of. It can also help you organize your thoughts and emotions. Sometimes  it doesn’t even have to be a person, just say your thoughts out loud and listen to yourself. 

1. Get fresh air

I don’t mean to go traveling or something–but yes if you can, that will be nice. Walk outside or even just open your room’s window and breath in the fresh air. 

Although these seem very simple and obvious, as small they are, it is easy for one to forget about them. Yes, I am saying from experience. I tend to stay in my room alone, always lying down in my bed without eating proper food or drinking water worrying all day and night whenever I get stressed. If there is anyone like me out there, spend five minute to write this checklist down either on a sticky note or on your phone and leave them somewhere you see everyday! Always remember to take care of yourself.

Sue Kim

RIT '24

My name is Sue, 1st year at Advertising Photography major. I am highly interested in photography and animals.
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology