This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

It’s the time of year when things start to change. The initial “post-summer-high” is wearing off, the weather is getting dreary, the sun shows its face less and less, and workloads become exhausting. It’s too easy to fall down a rabbit hole of negative emotions, lack of self-discipline, and procrastination. It’s important to first acknowledge that this is normal. Every human experiences this many times. But remember that it’s also in your control to get back on your feet. It may be hard to know where to start, but the first thing to do is to simply start. Here’s how:

Don’t suppress what you’re feeling. You need to do the dirty work first. 

Write it out, open the window and scream your problems into the world (unless you don’t want your neighbors to scream back at you), cry into your pillow, or talk to someone you trust. Just do anything that you feel will help you to release this energy and take some of the weight off of your shoulders. You don’t ever have to bury it within.

Figure out the root of your problem – what’s causing this? Is it something you can control?

One of the best ways to go about this is to write this out too. You can also talk to someone you trust. Their perspective could potentially add lots of value to your own, and if you request feedback from them, maybe they will unknowingly help you navigate your problems. If you just want them to listen, that’s great too. Just remember to communicate that to them. (Remember to adhere to COVID safety precautions!)

If you’re on social media, take a break.

I know, I know. Scrolling through Instagram or clicking through Snapchat stories is such a mindless pass time that you probably rely heavily upon. I get it. But don’t fall victim to its addicting qualities. Managing your social media usage is so crucial, especially when you’re not feeling your best. You don’t need to go MIA or delete your accounts. Simply deleting the apps from your phone for a few days will be so good for you. Depending on your normal usage, it might be incredibly difficult at first, but I promise you that you will find yourself with tons of extra time to spend on you and your goals without any outside influence from the media. There’s nothing better than a social media vacay!

Make a plan!

Say you have specific goals or tasks to accomplish, or your goal is simply to feel better. Creating a plan always pays off. If you’re someone who gets overwhelmed easily or who does better with something to follow, this will benefit you in many ways. Think of it as a guide to achieving your goals. It’s simply there to give your direction and to help you in whichever ways work for you. Whether it’s an organized, colorful document or a quick list, making a plan for yourself will give you that sense of guidance you need to ensure you set yourself in the right direction.

Self-care, baby!

Whether it’s a simple 10-minute face mask or staring at yourself in the mirror saying positive affirmations, do anything that will make you feel refreshed or inspired. Although it’s important to do all of that disciplinary work, it’s essential that you continuously prioritize your health and well-being. So, make a healthy/yummy meal, watch your favorite show (in moderation), take a warm bath; the options are limitless. Just do what you need to do to lift yourself up and be ready to work on you and your goals.

Get ready to work and follow through.

I promise there is no better feeling than making a thought out plan for yourself and following through with it. You will want to give up from time to time and that’s okay. Recognize that feeling, do what you need to do, and push through it. Constantly remind yourself of your purpose and your goals and never lose sight of how entirely capable you are of achieving them. No matter what, you are incredible, worthy, and competent.

Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology