This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

When returning from winter break, I am always feeling unmotivated, tired, and overall not ready to start the next semester. Especially going to school in Rochester, it is extra cold so all I think about is wanting to stay in my pajamas in bed. 

Getting back into the groove of going to class, making time for exercise, eating three meals a day, and having time for self-care is hard to fit into the schedule. It may be difficult, but it’s not impossible. Here are some tips on how to get our feet back moving into a functional routine and back on schedule. Here are some of my tips I use on a daily basis!

Write Out Your Work & Plan Ahead

Writing out my work week-by-week has been one of the ways I have never missed an assignment or pushed everything to the last minute. Having everything written down helps me space out how many assignments I want to do each day and roughly how much time it will take to complete. Getting a physical planner or using your google calendar is a good way to keep track of your weekly tasks.

Take Care of Yourself

Starting a new semester of school can always be draining by having new classes and new responsibilities. On days when you are feeling extra overwhelmed or tired, try taking a warm shower and putting on your comfiest clothes. Or if you don’t have that much time, pick up your favorite drink like an iced coffee or chai, and go on a walk before class. Self-care is the most important thing to feeling good and doing good.

Do Something Fun in Between Breaks

For me, taking breaks in between assignments helps me be more productive and feel less stressed and fatigued. When I take breaks, I tend to stretch and drink water, prepare a snack, watch an episode of a television show, or read a book; anything to really get away from the assignments and computer screen.

These are things we do when we want to feel refreshed, but it all comes down to making us feel prepared, motivated, and somewhat inspired for our semester goals. Good luck with your new semester and hopefully these tips will help you succeed and get you out of the spring slump!

Hi! I'm Kate, a second year ASL Interpreting major at RIT/NTID. I love cooking, yoga, thrifting, and reading.