Five Easy Recipes Using Microwave for a Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at RIT chapter.

College life can be hard for students who wish to cook for themselves as they did back at home. When it comes to cooking, several colleges have limited options to be used for cooking. This leaves virtually one option: the microwave. Freshmen who are required to live in the dorm with high amounts of dining dollars are most likely to eat all three meals on campus, either at on-site locations or pre-made foods cooked in the microwave.  Eunice, a freshman living in dorms, said “It is always hard to find a way to actually cook for myself without a stove.” She added, “but almost ending the semester, I am definitely tired of eating the same school food every day.”

So, here are some amazing and convenient ideas to consider when cooking on campus!

1. Oatmeal

When you are busy in the morning, oatmeal can help save time. Get water or milk, salt, and oats, and combine it in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat it up in the microwave for three minutes, then your breakfast will be hot and ready!.  

2. Nachos

Looking for finger food you can have as a late-night snack? layer your tortilla chips in a single layer, top it with ground beef, cheese, and add whatever extra taste that satisfies you! Place it in the microwave, heat it for three minutes and enjoy! 

3. Mac and Cheese

Stir ½ cup of water and macaroni with a pinch of salt in the mug and place it in the microwave to heat for two-three minutes. In the mug, add two tablespoons of milk and ½ cup of any kind of cheese, then stir. Heat the mug for another minute. Enjoy!

4. Mug Omelet

All you need is water – or milk if you would like – a mug, eggs, and any topping you want. Crack two eggs into the mug, add a tablespoon of milk, then beat it with a fork. Add any topping you would like – anything from bell pepper to spinach – with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir it well with a fork, then microwave it for 30 seconds. Remove it from the microwave, stir once again then microwave for another minute. You will now have a protein-packed meal ready in minutes.

5. Mug Brownie

When you want some sweet dessert to release your stress, just get a mug with flour, sugar salt, cocoa, and butter. Place ¼ cup of flour and sugar, two tablespoons of cocoa, and a pinch of salt in the mug. Stirwell and add butter and water then, mix it until it is smooth. Place the mug in the microwave and heat for 1 minute and 40 seconds. 

With a packed schedule, students are always rushing through campus all day. It is hard to find time and appliances to cook for yourself. But, don;t let that stop you from eating a proper meal! Use these ideas to begin cooking with fun, easy, and convenient college-friendly options!

Sue Kim

RIT '24

My name is Sue, 1st year at Advertising Photography major. I am highly interested in photography and animals.
Campus Coordinator for Rochester Institute of Technology