Wellness

The £50 ($70) Investment That Keeps the Freshman 15 at Bay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Richmond London chapter.

For many students, freshman year in college is the first time that the food they consume is entirely chosen and controlled by them, which can sometimes lead to unhealthier choices. This has led to the creation of the term ‘freshman 15,’ which relates to the 15 lbs that freshman tend to lose or gain in their first year at college. While of course there’s no issue with this change in weight, many incoming freshmen, including myself, are filled with dread that this will happen to them which ultimately makes the first few months at college less enjoyable. Since they are worried about how the food they are eating is changing them.

I found that my way around this irrational fear was to start my day with a nutritional, colourful, and extremely filling smoothie. Now it is understandable that on a college budget, ordering a large smoothie every morning is not an option. The solution to this is to make these smoothies at home.! Not only is this a cheaper option, but also lets us choose exactly what we do and do not what in our drinks.

Let me introduce you to the Nutribullet, a personal blender with unlimited opportunity to create healthy, nutritious and portioned meals. There are numerous other personal blenders that come at a range of prices depending on your budget but personally, this was the best fit.

Not only is this appliance perfect for a healthy breakfast, but it also saves people  from those late-night cravings for something sweet. Below I have listed my two favourite Nutribullet blends, the first being a nutritional smoothie that makes up for all the vitamins and minerals that cafeteria food fails to provide, and the second being a healthy ice cream alternative that only takes 2-3 ingredients.

Health Booster Smoothie Recipe:

• 1 cup green veg (I use spinach and kale – sometimes celery)
  • 1 ½ cup frozen fruit (my favourite is a tropical mix but summer berries also work well)
  • 1 ½ cup almond milk 1 chunk of ginger Juice of half a lemon

Banana Ice cream Recipe:

• 1 Frozen banana
  • 1 tsp liquid (milk/non-dairy alternative)
  • 1sp kind of flavouring(cocoa powder/vanilla/matcha)

I should also add that these are a frozen cocktail game changer! No more badly mixed vodka and cokes – instead you can throw your drinks of choice in the blender with some ice and have a drink that makes you feel as if you are sitting on a beach bar at happy hour. Here is my flat’s favourite:

Frozen Margarita Recipe:

• 1 cup ice
  • 50 ml tequila
  • 25 ml triple sec
  • 25 ml lime juice
  • 15 ml sugar syrup

Now you may be considering whether or not the Nutribullet is the game changing purchase for your dorm room/university apartment, so I have compiled the most important advantages and disadvantages of this appliance to aid in your decision making:

Pros:

• Blender doubles as your drinking cup with an attachment, which means less washing up.
  • Money saver, as you can get nutrients from frozen fruit which is cheaper than fresh and you won’t spend an extortionate amount on store bought smoothies.
  • Easy grab and go of healthy options – at college you sometimes forget the main food groups are not pizza and booze, so a smoothie a day will do wonders for both your physical and mental health.

Cons:

• Like any blender, the Nutribullet makes noise, especially when frozen fruits are involved so depending on your roommate situation this might get awkward if you want your smoothie before a 9 a.m. class.
  • Although this is a smaller option than most blenders which are family sized, it may still be bulky to store in a smaller dorm room (though in most it can usually fit somewhere under the bed).

At the end of the day, the most important aspect is to take care of physical and mental health and that to make the most of the time at college. . Remember that a new routine and environment can cause fluctuations in weight. Make sure you are fueling the body so it can carry you through this new chapter of your life. Enjoy :)

Olivia Fox

Richmond London '22

I am an International Business major with minors in Finance and Economics. I love fashion, friends and all things spontaneous. I spend all my free time traveling the world :)