samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eight Classes to Take Before Graduating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rice chapter.

All vetted by the HC Rice team.

1. HIST 295: The American South

“Survey of the American South from development of Native American cultures to present. Topics include slavery and plantation economy; emergence of southern distinctiveness; Civil War and Reconstruction; political reform and the civil rights movement; rise of the Sunbelt, southern religion, music, and literature; and the future of southern regionalism.”

2. HIST 398: Topics in Legal History

“Course on selected topics in legal history. Spring 2013 Topic: readings and discussions on Supreme Court cases addressing freedom of speech; discrimination on basis of race, gender, and sexual orientation; congressional and presidential power, and rights of the accused.”

3. LPAP 178: The Art of Relaxation

“This course is designed to provide students with an overview of the evolution of relaxation techniques and the various forms they have taken in different cultures across time. Each class will focus on the stress-relieving benefits of and different modalities for relaxation practice.”

4. POLI 318: The Presidency

“Analysis of presidential powers and behavior in the context of legal, electoral, personal, and other forces that shape and limit the actions of the President.”

5. POLI 490: Politics and the Arts

“Study of the development of modern political theory and its relevance to contemporary problems.”

6. POST 201: Baker Institute Introduction to Public Policy

“Baker Institute fellows will rotate through the course, introducing students to a variety of public policy issues. Among them will be energy, taxes, health care, religion and politics, science, space, information technology, urban problems, environment, and international relations.”

7. RELI 337: Shamans, Saints, & Sages

“Familiarize the student with diverse texts (secular and religious, East and West) found in mystical literature. Emphasis will be placed on psychological and comparative methods.”

8. SOCI 301: Social Inequality

“This course investigates the causes and consequences of social inequality in the U.S., focusing on inequality by class, race, and gender. We will discuss different measures of inequality, the extent of inequality, as well as classical and modern theories for why it has been increasing since the 1970s. In addition, we will discuss how much inequality is justifiable and which redistributive programs work.”

Ellie is a Political Science and Policy Studies double major at Rice University, with a minor in Politics, Law and Social Thought. She spent the spring of 2017 studying/interning in London, and hopes to return to England for grad school. Academically, Ellie's passion lies in evaluating policies that further the causes of gender equality, LGBT rights, and access to satisfactory healthcare, specifically as it pertains to women's health and mental health. She also loves feminist memoirs, eighteenth-century history, old bookstores, and new places. She's continuously inspired by the many strong females in her life, and is an unequivocal proponent of women supporting women.