This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

When I close my eyes, I can see it with the utmost clarity.

The sounds triumph all around me like the beat of a drum…

YES, YOU CAN!

yEs, YoU CaN!

YeS, yOu CaN!

As I walk towards my loved ones, I can feel each word coursing through my veins electrifying all my senses making me run for…

But then I see it, that gloom of darkness. The thorn in my side. The one thing I can never seem to escape. I try to open my eyes and escape the abyss that’s enveloping me.

The tight grip it has on my lungs each breath I take…

1… 2… 3… inhale

1…2…exhale

1…2..inhale

I can’t seem to find my footing; I can feel myself losing consciousness. As I’m about to let myself fall deeper in the sweet abyss,

A sharp and bright light stabs a small hole through the darkness. I can hear the voices that beat with the rhythm of my fierce heart… Yes, YOU CAN!

The light shines brighter, the hole grows bigger and bigger and biggeR and biggER and bigGER and biGGER and bIGGER and BIGGER

until all I can see and hear are the ones I love the thing I most love. I leave the darkness and my anguish…

As I open my eyes and look around me, I am sitting at King Arthur’s table

all I know is that there is hardship coming my way but on the other side victory awaits.

Bitia Alanis

Rhodes '22

Bitia Alanis is a student at Rhodes College. She enjoys surfing the web, writing, reading, Netflix and allowing a space for people to connect and enjoy the many qualities of life. She's empathetic and always strives to make herself the best she can be.