Shape-Up Rhodes: Toning up for Spring Break- Common Myths and Misconceptions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

Common Saying:  “I’m on a strict all salad diet to get skinny for spring break”

Why this might be hurting you
You may think that the salad bar is your best bet towards losing last minute lbs before your big getaway.  If you’re unaware of the nutrition facts for your favorite salad bar toppings, chances are you might be packing on the pounds rather than losing them. 

Did You Know?
10 garlic croutons have 100 calories, 400 mg sodium and 8 grams of fat
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese has over 200 calories and 18 grams of fat
¼ cup craisins has 100 calories and 20 grams of sugar
½ cup crumbled feta cheese has nearly 200 calories and 700 mg sodium
2 tbsp of Caesar dressing has 100 calories and 9 grams of fat
2 tbsp of French dressing has nearly 150 calories and 14 grams of fat
2 tbsp of Ranch dressing has nearly 150 calories and 15 grams of fat
(Estimated calorie counts)

What to do now?
Instead of drowning your greens in dressing and piling on the feta because you think it’s helping you lose weight, try filling up with chopped vegetables, grilled chicken, and unseasoned beans like chickpeas and black beans.  You’ll save calories, feel more full, and smile knowing that you’ve made a healthier choice!

Salads at Restaurants
Want to see something scary? 
Watch this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRbuilvEp1I
Bottom Line:  Restaurants are willing to make accommodations, so speak up and leave off all of the fried food and unhealthy toppings to save your self

Common Saying:  “I’m going to run every day to tone up for spring break”

Why this might be hurting you:
Don’t get me wrong, running is a great way to stay in shape and is my all time favorite stress reliever, but by ONLY running and doing nothing else, you will not get very far. 

Ever wonder why track runners have lifting days in the weight room? 
It’s because cardio + strength training = progress!

Stop it with the daily one-hour steady state elliptical sessions and start seeing results in minimal time by doing high intensity interval training + steady state cardio 1-2 times a week + weight training.  You’ll save yourself time and burn more calories.  Variety is key!

Did you know?

Lifting weights can boost your metabolism.  Even though you might not be sweating as much while lifting weights, as you would while running, you are building lean muscle, toning up, and you burn calories after your workout.

High Intensity Interval Training Workout Ideas:  http://www.hercampus.com/school/rhodes/shape-rhodes-quick-midterm-workou…

The Tabata Method:
http://www.hercampus.com/school/rhodes/shape-rhodes-four-minute-total-bo…

The benefits of Strength Training:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/weight-training-tips

What to do now?

Attend fitness classes in the BCLC (like my Boot Camp classes on Wednesday’s at 3!  Get the full schedule here: http://www.rhodeslynx.com/sports/2010/1/26/fitness.aspx? or find it posted in the weight room)

Strength train 2-3 times a week:  If you’re new to fitness and you’re looking for ideas, once again attend fitness classes in the BCLC and learn how to tone up both at the gym and in the comfort of your dorm room

Cardio is important, but be sure not to just run.  If you really want to torch calories, try doing high intensity interval training several times a week. 

Steady state cardio is also good. I usually pick one day during the week to do a long run 5+ miles. 

Recording your Routine

My workouts vary each week depending on my schedule and my goals (aka. If I’m training for something or trying to achieve a certain goal) I always record my workouts in a notebook so that a) I can look back on them to see how far I’ve come and b) so that I stay motivated.  Here is an example of how I record a strength-training workout:

Monday

Weight Room- 9:00 am
Butt & Legs Day

Warm-up:
Treadmill- 2 miles in 16:30 + cool down walk

Circuit: 3 times
*15 stationary dead lift (40 lb barbell)
*15 wide-leg squat (25 lb dumbbell)
*10 single leg step-ups onto platform (10 on each leg for 20 times total)
*15 Roman chair dips (10 lb weight)

Superset:  3 times
*15 Seated leg press (wide stance- 110 lbs)
*30 second wall-sit

Circuit:  3 times (bodyweight)
*15 reverse ball crunches
*15 single leg lunges
*15 forward lunge + kickback

Cool-down- 10 minute HIIT treadmill (walk incline 2 min, sprint at 8.5 1 minute- repeat 3x)

The point here is to show you the balance between strength training, HIIT, and steady state cardio.  Once again, variety is key!  If you’re new to working out, take it one step at a time and set goals for yourself.  Record your workouts, how you are feeling before and after them, and what you want to achieve.  Don’t be intimidated by the weight room and attend classes at Rhodes and in the community for guidance.  Be sure to check out previous Shape-Up Rhodes articles for fitness tips and tricks to get ready for spring break!

Common Saying:  “I need to stop eating and start fasting”

Why this might be hurting you:

By not eating, you are stalling your metabolism, and by not taking in sufficient calories, you may be losing muscle and gaining weight instead of losing it.  If you’re not eating regularly (either 6 small meals a day, or 3 larger meals), this is what could happen:
1)   Malnutrition and health related problems
2)   Weight Gain, not weight loss!- If you don’t eat and then decide to have a snack one time a day, your body will store those calories as fat rather than burning them for energy. 
3)   Provoke future binging habits and unhealthy cravings
4)   Diminish energy
5)   Lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea, and more

Did you know?

If you do not consume enough calories (less than 1,200 a day), you will gain weight rather than lose weight because your body will store calories for fat rather than burn them.  Make sure you’re getting the right amount of calories based upon your dimensions and level of physical activity.

What to do now?
To figure out how many calories your body should be taking in, calculate your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate using this calculator: http://www.shapefit.com/dailycalorie-calc.html

To lose weight, cut out 500 calories/day from the given caloric amount.  To gain weight, add 500 calories/day to the given caloric amount.  Never go below 1,200 calories a day.

Common Saying:  “I’m giving up all forms of sugar and all carbs to get skinny”

Why this might be hurting you

Your body NEEDS carbohydrates to function.  Carbohydrates replace the glycologen in the muscles and liver. 

Did you know?

Chances are, your friend that decided to “cut out carbs” from their diet is still consuming them.  Healthy carbohydrates include fruits, vegetables, legumes, beans, nuts, seeds, low fat dairy, whole grains, oats, and more. 

What to do now?

Instead of cutting out all carbs, try cutting out “bad carbs”.  This includes refined sugars, refined “white” grains, and artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols.

Try adding in good carbs to your diet:  sweet potatoes, oatmeal, whole grains, vegetables etc.

Don’t make these mistakes!  Let the countdown to spring break begin!

Sources:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/not-eating-to-lose-weight-5-negative-effects/
http://www.fitsugar.com/Nutritional-Information-Salad-Toppings-7598444

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.