Shape-Up Rhodes: Quick Midterm Workouts- High Intensity Interval Training and Strength Training Routines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

“I don’t have time to work out…I have to study for my exams.”

Does this excuse ring a bell?

In other words, log off of Facebook, make yourself a check-list, map out your homework for the week, record your favorite shows, or do whatever you need to do to in order to spare 15 minutes a day for your own well-being. 

That’s right collegiates, 15 minutes.  .01% or 1/96th of the minutes in an entire day…

How is it possible to work out effectively in a short time frame?

High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

This type of cardiovascular exercise is designed for students like you who want to achieve maximum results in a short time frame.  HIIT consists of short sprints followed by a recovery period (jogging or walking).  The series is repeated.  HIIT is a great way to torch calories, burn fat, and boost your metabolism in a short time frame.  You don’t have to be a star athlete to perform an HIIT workout- it can be tailored to every fitness level.

Try waking up 30 minutes earlier than usual and head to the outdoor or indoor track for a quick HIIT workout. 

Sample Indoor Track Workouts:

Beginner:
Brisk Walk- 3 laps
Jog- 2 laps
Sprint-1 lap
(Repeat series 4-6 times)

Intermediate:
Brisk Walk- 1 lap
Jog- 1 lap
Sprint- 1 lap
Jog- 1 lap
Sprint- 1 lap
(Repeat series 4-6 times)

Advanced:
Jog- 2 laps
Sprint-1 lap
(Repeat series 10 times- this would be a 3-mile run)

Strength Training

Scared of dumbbells?  They won’t make you manly.  Lifting weights will help sculpt your body.  You’ll continue to burn calories throughout the day and develop greater muscle mass.  Check out these 15-minute strength-training exercises from Women’s Health Magazine designed for women with tight schedules and minimal time to hit the gym.  If you don’t have dumbbells near buy, use textbooks or other objects in your room as replacements.  Pick a 15-minute strength training workout and perform it 3-4 non-consecutive days this week.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/benefits-of-15-minute-workouts

Bottom Line- Stop making excuses and get moving!!!

“Why are you going to choose failure when success is an option?”
– Jillian Michaels

Chelsea is a junior at Rhodes College, class of 2012, majoring in English and minoring in both Chinese & International Studies. She plans to pursue a career in print or broadcast journalism. Her involvement on campus ranges from serving as co-captain of the varsity field hockey team, to being a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority, to writing sports & fashion articles for Rhodes' media outlets. Chelsea has interned at CBS Channel 4 News Boston in the sports room, as well as other companies where she enjoyed internships in event-planning, marketing, fashion, jewelry design, and human rights. Aside from work and school, Chelsea enjoys running, music, singing, and shopping online.