Shape-Up Rhodes: Healthy Pumpkin Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rhodes chapter.

The leaves are changing colors, the knit sweaters are coming out to play, and the costume stores are stocking up.  It’s finally fall… aka Pumpkin season! Pumpkin coffee, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin froyo, pumpkin obsessed……

Pumpkin is one of fall’s signature flavors, but it is also a healthy fruit in its purest form!  Pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A, which is known to sharpen eyesight.  It also contains fiber and protein to keep you satisfied.  If you’re experiencing muscle soreness or fatigue, instead of reaching for a banana, try reaching for some pumpkin this fall to fill up on potassium.  Also, don’t forget the seeds! Pumpkin seeds contain high levels of zinc, vitamin E, and are high in protein. 

What are you waiting for?  Celebrate fall by trying out some of these simple, healthy pumpkin recipes.  Have a favorite pumpkin recipe?  Post it in the comments section below!

Sweet ‘N Salty Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Easy Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies

Greek Yogurt Pumpkin Parfait

Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie

Pumpkin Spice Steel Cut Oats

Pumpkin Spice Protein Pancakes

Skinny Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake

Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Crust-Less Mini Pumpkin Pies

Are you low on time but still looking to add pumpkin into your life?  Add a few spoonfulls of canned pumpkin into your morning oatmeal, yogurt, or smoothie.  Purchase pre-made pumpkin pie spice or make your own and sprinkle it into your coffee or on top of your breakfast for some added fall flavor.

Live close to a Trader Joe’s?  Check out their pumpkin palooza.  Items include: Pumpkin tea and coffee, pumpkin pancake mix, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin soup, even pumpkin cream cheese.  Just make sure to read the nutrition label before going overboard.

Coffee Tip: Instead of ordering your regular pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks or your neighborhood coffee shop, try ordering a regular coffee and ask for one pump of Pumpkin Pie or Pumpkin Spice syrup.  Then add a dash of milk, sweetener, and cinnamon. 

Happy Fall Collegiettes!