This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

Whether it’s a bear, a bobcat, a tiger, or some other generally aggressive animal, universities are widely recognized by their school mascot. With the inclusion of track-and-field, cross-country, volleyball, and soccer at Regent University, it has become clear that a mascot is dearly needed.

With iconic images on the mind, our Her Campus squad jokingly decided that our group’s goose should be named the mascot for all Regent University’s activities. While the original discussion was purely satirical, I have listed five reasons below why the goose would be a noble choice for the school’s first mascot.

1. Geese are literally everywhere on campus.

What better animal to be the iconic mascot of your university than a bird which is always found waddling around, leaving little treats on the sidewalks? Whether on the lawn, in the rivers and ponds, guarding the bridge to the dorm buildings, or patrolling between the classroom buildings, geese can be found 24/7.

2. Geese save lives.

Whenever a car is speeding down the fifteen-mile-per-hour roads on campus, you can be sure that a flock of geese will be there to save the day by slowly walking across the road, causing the driver to slam on the breaks and admire the geese’s waddle.

3. Geese frown on texting while walking.

Instead of walking headlong into a tree or another pedestrian while walking and texting, students on Regent University campus always have to pay attention to where they step to ensure they do not step into goose dung on accident. Really, the geese are just cracking down on texting so that students pay more attention to the wondrous birds.

4. Geese protect students from squirrels.

While most squirrels on Regent’s campus are slightly domesticated and are no longer scared of human beings, there are always those shifty-looking squirrels that are just waiting for unsuspecting students to trip on the well-placed acorns. Geese provide the perfect protection from these devious squirrels by squawking loudly when students are about to walk into a trap.

5. Geese provide countless hours of entertainment.

Watching geese splash in the fountains or parade across campus never ceases to provide entertainment for burnt-out college students. Whenever students begin to feel stressed or overwhelmed, the geese flock together, come up with a humorous plan, and lower students’ levels of stress with their carefree ways.

For these reasons and more, the geese hold a special place in the hearts of Regent students, making them the perfect mascot for the university.

Photo Credit