katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Simple Ways To Eat Well In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

How many times have you heard the phrase “healthy eating?” Sounds a little boring, right? Maybe even expensive, and God knows that as a budgeted college student, we can’t really afford that! I’m here to tell you that you can, and it isn’t as bad as you may think. 

Going into my first year of college, my mind was set on saying “no” to the freshman fifteen (two weeks in and still firmly standing!). There were pros and cons to making this decision, some of which I am still on the brink about. I decided to cut out meat for a while and attempt to stick to a plant and grain based diet.

I must say, healthy eating isn’t necessarily a strict plant based diet. Although I removed meat from my diet, you can still be a healthy eater and consume meat, but it all boils down to the portion size of your meals. Here are a few solutions to common eating problems students face:

Meat can be kind of expensive.

Depending on the type of meat you want to buy, it can get expensive. Again, you don’t have to remove meat from your diet, but maybe you could buy less or an inexpensive type of meat.  

Weight control is hard.

As beings who absolutely love food, we have a hard time saying no to seconds and thirds. Even I fall prey to this. As I said earlier, healthy eating comes down to the portion sizes of your food intake. Be watchful of what you eat, how often you eat it and what it is that you’re eating!

Good food in general can cost a lot.

Eating healthy can get expensive. If you’re like me and you aren’t rich, this can be burdening. Shop smart. Instead of always going for the fresh produce, stoop down and choose the frozen items every now and then.

It’s hard to eliminate a lot of yummy foods.

This is probably the first thing you thought about when I mentioned healthy eating: “Not the comfort foods!” I know, it’s hard to let go of the food you love. Perhaps there is a healthier alternative out there though?

Changing your eating habits can be hard.

I’ll admit that it’s hard, but you can overcome it! The great thing about living on a campus with kitchens in each dorm or apartment is that you can control what you eat. Commitment is key to eating healthy. Make a meal plan, check out Pinterest, find the nearest Trader Joe’s and you are off to a good start! You’re bound to find something you really like.

Photo Credit: Cover photo, 1.
Hello there, beautiful people! My name is Monica and I am a freshman at Regent University, majoring in Psychology. As expressed through my HC articles, I have a passion for writing. I began my journey of creative writing during my freshman year of high school, and it's a hobby that really stuck with me. I have love for people, nature, and coffee! I hope you all find interest in what you read here. Love, Monica