bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making the Best Apple Chips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Regent chapter.

This time of the year, everyone is looking for treats that have that perfect “taste of fall” flavor.  For an easy, light snack that makes you think of the harvest season, apple chips are the way to go. They’re also one of the most simple snacks you can make, so anyone with an oven will be able to make them.  

I tried three common ways of making apple chips and though the one I’ll talk about last by far gives the best flavor, all three of these recipes have that great “fall taste” so pick whichever one sounds best!

The Easiest

The first and easiest way to make apple chips requires nothing more than a few apples, cinnamon, and an oven to bake them in.  For one person, I would use two or three medium-sized apples that are known to be sweet, like Red Delicious.  

All you need to do is slice the apples into thin slices, making sure to get the seeds out.  I find it’s way easier to get nice chips if you use a kitchen slicer but you can simply use a knife if you don’t have a slicer.  Sprinkle both sides of your slices with cinnamon and lay your apple slices in one layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Bake them at 200 degrees for 2 hours.  You’ll know your chips are done when they curl up and get crispy around the edges.  Then you just have to let them cool and you’re all done!

This method is the easiest since you just have to sprinkle sliced apples with cinnamon and bake, but the flavor isn’t as strong as the next two ways.  I also found that the chips turned soft after a few hours, but the chips from the next two recipes did not.

With Syrup

The second way to make apple chips is almost the same as the first, but this time you’re going to make a simple syrup to soak your apple slices in before baking.  This method takes a bit longer since you’ll have to soak your apples overnight.  

This time you’ll need two to three medium apples, lemon juice from one lemon, one and a half cups of sugar, and two cups of water.  

Mix the sugar and water in a small or medium saucepan until it boils, stirring until the sugar melts and the water looks clear again.  Once your syrup boils, take it off the heat and let it cool completely.  Slice your apples into thin slices with a kitchen slicer or a knife, making sure to poke out the seeds.  Rub lemon juice on each side of your slices to keep them from turning brown then submerge them in a bowl with the cooled syrup.  Cover your bowl and let them soak overnight in the fridge.  When your apples are ready to bake, dry the slices off by gently patting them with paper towels then lay them in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake them at 200 degrees for 2 hours.  When the chips are curling and crispy, they’re done!

You’d think sweet apples might not need to be drowned in sugar-water and that the sugar might make them too sweet, but the syrup really enhances the apple flavor. It also helps them to stay crispy.

With Syrup and Cinnamon

The third and best apple chips are made by adding cinnamon to the second recipe above.  That’s it.  All you have to do is follow the instructions from the second recipe, but after you dry the chips with paper towels, sprinkle each side of your apple slices with cinnamon.  This method will give you the best, crispy apple chips that have a perfect “fall flavored” kick.

Alyssa Brock

Regent '20

Regent University student who loves writing about cooking, animals, diys, and other random things.
Tiyra is a senior at Regent University studying English with a concentration in communications. No, she does not want to be a teacher. She is a total advertising and marketing geek (she reads Adweek every morning and AdAge every month). She enjoys writing, reading, learning new things, and good music. She is a fan of Korean dramas, they're a lot of fun! If you're looking for her, you can normally find her where the free food is.